PDA

View Full Version : to all the probability loving unbelievers...pascal's wager revisited y

siegfriedandroy
09-20-2005, 01:44 AM
et again (not enough room for full title)

What % chance of Christianity being true would be sufficient to accept the faith, Pascal style?

DougShrapnel
09-20-2005, 02:45 AM
Pascals wager is flawed on so many levels, that it only makes sense if there is, actually, a god. Add a 100% and I'll vote.

siegfriedandroy
09-20-2005, 02:54 AM
so if somehow you knew that there was exactly a 95% chance that Christianity were true (about the chance of doubling your 300bb bankroll as opposed to breaking), you would not believe?

DougShrapnel
09-20-2005, 03:08 AM
Well to be honest, and I hate to admit it, but I could rationalize away up to 7%. So my final anwser is 93%. Fun game lets play another.

David Sklansky
09-20-2005, 03:09 AM
"so if somehow you knew that there was exactly a 95% chance that Christianity were true (about the chance of doubling your 300bb bankroll as opposed to breaking), you would not believe?"

You would believe there was a 95% chance. Are you implying that you should somehow turn that into a 100% chance?

siegfriedandroy
09-20-2005, 03:49 AM
mr sklansky, are you addressing me? i know you were not an english major, but at least make your post vaguely comprehensible! jk And yes, i will make sure to purchase volumes of hemingway books with the money you make me!

as for any probability approaching 1, this would surely lead me to belief (if i were an atheist) if the eternal destiny of my soul was at risk. id say the same thing if the probability was 8-9% that Christianity was true, and a 90% that atheism was true. obviously that is much too simple of a breakdown, since no other options are accounted for. but assuming this hypo, you'd have to be crazy to not become Christian. it's amazing how often those damn gutshots fall on the river after i flop the nut set. i will refrain from elaborating on yesterday's horrid beat, where the donk PICKED UP his gutshot draw on the turn (w/ only j high, no draws on the flop) to river me for the largest pot off the night. blahblahblah

anyway, sklansky, 9% chance christianity is true, 91% god doesnt exist. are you a christian or an atheist?

David Sklansky
09-20-2005, 03:52 AM
How sure do you have to be to call yourself a Christian?

siegfriedandroy
09-20-2005, 04:10 AM
hmmmm...wasnt that what i asked you?! okay, i think i understand your question. off the cuff, i recall Jesus' saying about faith the size of a mustard seed being sufficient to move mountains. so surely Jesus doesnt require anything near absolutely certainty. also, the quote, 'Lord, i believe, help me overcome my unbelief'. again, it seems this disciple was a genuine believer, and apparently was welcomed as a brother despite his doubt. it seems many in scripture were plagued with doubt, etc., yet were still welcomed into the faith as true believers. not sure what the exact % is that God requires (interesting ?, sklansk!), but id say nowhere near 100. did i answer the right question!?