PDA

View Full Version : The hand in back of my head...driving me nuts!!

Joe Tall
05-07-2003, 03:14 PM
I almost didn't post this, then I almost did, then I said, I know how badly I played I don't need to feel worse, then it's eating me alive, then I'm good with it, NOW, I post it:

2/4 Poker Stars just before (I hope) Barry stopped in. (Now a little in-game history, I ran a few hands over and showed down AA, AQs, AKs for the nuts, early, then every time I open raised after that...all folded. Raise UTG with AsQs, only the BB calls, flop: 9h 7s Kh, I bet, BB check-raises, I 3 bet, he folds. Cold cards for a while open-raised UTG with JhTh - all folded. Limped with KK in EP, all fold to the BB, check, bet, fold, etc)

Here's the hand:

I'm in the BB with A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif
5 limps & SB completes (1st hand like this in a while)

I raise. (go ahead burn me) - all call.

Flop: 5 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif (Ok this is where I'm screwed, I've got the 'losing end' of an open ended str8 draw, while praying for the runner-runner flush).

Check, I bet, folded to the CO who raises, all fold to me and I think (f-him, this is my domain, I re-raise),
CO calls.

Turn: A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif [5 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif]

bet, call.

River: 6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif [A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif]

bet, CO raises,....and this is where this hand lives in infamy... I FOLDED. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

I was actually timed out for the first time ever. I just froze, looking at my monitor as my oponent took down a nice pot with what I feel was a full house or maybe even quads. I think he flopped a set, and went into call down vs. the bully at the table.

I continued to lose about 15BBs after having a winning session and should have left right after this hand, it's been lingering in my head till now.

A quote for this hand:
"The greatest mistake you can make is to be continually fearing you will make one."
- Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915), American author, "A Message to Garcia"

Bob T.
05-07-2003, 04:22 PM
I'm in the BB with A 3
5 limps & SB completes (1st hand like this in a while)

I raise. (go ahead burn me) - all call.

OK, I don't like it. You have an implied odds hand. When you check you get ininite implied odds. Your investment = Zero, your return, to be determined.

Flop, I would check fold here, but you got yourself committed with the preflop raise.

I think Cutoff has a pair of sixes, and is hoping you have a Big Ace. Little does he know......

I think your reraise is worse than your preflop raise. This one has to have extreme -EV.

Turn, you catch one of your three likely outs. Routine.

River, when you get raised, your hand was no good. What do you think he has. Trip sixes? A set turned full house? or least likely, a straight? You don't like your fold, but it saved you a bet.

Based on your Maniac post, and this one, you need to get a grasp on implied odds. Chapter 6 and 7 of Theory of Poker, should give you a good start on the issue.

pufferfish
05-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Preflop raise: Whatever. Call it a variance play.

Flop re-raise: I don’t see the point, its HU now.

River bet: A check-call gets you a showdown for the same price. I don’t see CO folding even if you happen to have him beat.

pf

pufferfish
05-07-2003, 05:38 PM
In another thread (and forum) there was some discussion about playing the penny tables. You mentioned that it could be a good place for fun and experimentation.

I just thought of an experiment for people like me who have a hard time getting off their hands once they’ve raised pre-flop.

At a penny table (of course), raise pre-flop with a trash hand every couple of rounds. I guess 72o would be the ultimate. Then see how you play post-flop.

It might be fun to post some of those hands. Well, my 72o flopped top pair but I’ve got the ole classic no-kicker, and I could have overcard problems! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I think I’ll actually try this sometime.

BTW- I don’t mean to ridicule the limit.

pf

Barry
05-07-2003, 05:51 PM
Ahh...

The old, I'm running over the table, I must be invincible play.

In other words, you're tilting because you are winning, and that is just as bad as tilting when you are losing because it will cost you the same amount of money. You don't feel it as badly because you were ahead when you were beset by this affliction. This is something that nearly all of us have struggled with at one (or more) time(s).

In one of Mason's poker essays, he says that very good players can play a few more hands than average players, but if they play just a few too many, even they will begin to lose. Neither you are I are as good as the folks that Mason was talking about.

Try to play every hand well, whether you are winning or losing, if you don't, don't be surprised when you see a post about a maniac and after reading the post, you realize that the maniac is you.

Joe Tall
05-07-2003, 06:18 PM
I don’t see the point, its HU now. - HU? I'm new here.

Yes, I should have just checked and called once I got into this hole I dug, I agree.

Joe Tall
05-07-2003, 06:23 PM
That's exactly what was happening, I was getting fustrated with the lack of action I was getting...so I decided to make some action with a terrible play. I knew the comments would be tough, but I welcome them to help my play. Thank you.

Barry
05-07-2003, 06:41 PM
You're welcome.

And I didn't see you play that hand. Looking forward to meeting you this weekend.

J.R.
05-07-2003, 06:46 PM

pufferfish
05-07-2003, 07:25 PM
Like J.R. replied, I meant heads up. Be warned, I don’t give very good advice. But at least I’m trying!

tc,
pf