PDA

View Full Version : Poor man's buisiness education

STLantny
09-19-2005, 07:34 PM
So, Im 23, know way too much about computers (BS information security systems), and while I do like the field, after getting into the business of tech sales/installations/maintenance, and even some restaurant bookkeeping. Ive decided I may want to steer away from the purely "tech stuff", and deal more in sales/finances, you know the whole "business world" deal. Can someone give me a reccomendation for some books dealing with sales, finance, the business world etc, so I can give myself a crash course in the next few months?

jakethebake
09-19-2005, 07:59 PM
I don't know the "poor man's" way. I went to Wash U and took on student loans out tha ass. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

STLantny
09-19-2005, 08:07 PM
Aye, Im a little to old to start school over, but who knows...I really want to open my own business selling computers/highend security or possibly a bar/restaurant, ie I do not want to work for someone, and need a starting place.

NobodysFreak
09-19-2005, 08:09 PM
A lot of state universities and community colleges offer night classes on things like this. Some are only a few weeks long just to get your feet wet.

ddollevoet
09-19-2005, 08:46 PM
I'd highly recommend www.entrepreneur.com (http://www.entrepreneur.com/). They have a very good archive from their monthly magazine.

STLantny
09-19-2005, 08:48 PM
Ah, dude, perfect. Thanks for the link. Any books would be great too.

jakethebake
09-19-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Aye, Im a little to old to start school over, but who knows...I really want to open my own business selling computers/highend security or possibly a bar/restaurant, ie I do not want to work for someone, and need a starting place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on your name and the fact you live on the Hill, I'm guessing financing isn't a problem. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

STLantny
09-19-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on your name and the fact you live on the Hill, I'm guessing financing isn't a problem. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe, no comment. I dont need the start up money, just hte peice of mind Im not burning it.

jakethebake
09-19-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hehe, no comment. I dont need the start up money, just hte peice of mind Im not burning it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I was half joking. But if I were serious, you don't want trouble paying back any loans. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

STLantny
09-19-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I was half joking. But if I were serious, you don't want trouble paying back any loans. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, thats part of the problem, I have no idea where to begin with that aspect. I have a lot of money saved up (enough to pay for my education when Im done, in cash), but I dont know where to begin with estimating how much I would need to start a particular business up, so I really only have about a year to figure out whether to pay off my loans in full and be debt free, or use that liquid to put into a business, or a little of each etc.

RiverFenix
09-19-2005, 09:03 PM
To complement your poor man's spelling education?

BA-ZING

STLantny
09-19-2005, 09:04 PM
i type as fast as possible and never ever proof read. time just isnt worth it on an internet forum.

StickyWicket
09-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Try "The Ten Day MBA" by Steven Silberger. Nice primer in the basic business principles.

Sticky /images/graemlins/heart.gif