PDA

View Full Version : Laying down an overpair

IamLeach
09-19-2005, 07:04 PM
No reads on Villian. The previous hand I doubled up off him with trip twos against his Aces. He slow played them and let me see a flop. This may indicate that he is tilting here. However I was unsure.

PokerRoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)
SB($21.10)
BB ($6)
Hero($29.25)
Villian ($121.60)
Button ($24.20)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with QQ, .
Hero calls $0.25, Villian calls $0.25, Button calls $0.25, completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villian raises to $8</font>, Button folds, folds, BB folds, Hero calls $5.

This bet threw me off, I seriously thought about folding it right here but I thought that he might do this with AJ, KJ.

Turn: ($17.50) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets $5</font>, Hero folds.

The second J was enough for me. Anyone play this differently? Think I should have called here or maybe pushed on the flop against the raise?

BBD
09-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Raise those PF.

IamLeach
09-19-2005, 07:18 PM
I ussually do, Just wanted to go for the slowplay here.

BBD
09-19-2005, 07:23 PM
Big pockets aren't strong multi-way. Wouldn't we want A-Xo or K-Xo out of the way?

meleader2
09-19-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I ussually do, Just wanted to go for the slowplay here.

[/ QUOTE ]

do that with AA not QQ. raise with QQ

IamLeach
09-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Ok. Other than Preflop what are your thoughts about the fold here?

WhiskyRiver
09-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Disregarding choosing to slow play (yea, you can do it sometimes, but in low stakes games like this I get way too damn worried about any two coming in with me and making me second guess taking control after the flop), I think you just got unlucky. I think the call was the best move facing his raise. All signs point to AJ, but $5 is a pretty decent size re-raise that (depending on your player) could defintely point to more. For .25, could easily be set 4's or 5's. Pushing on the flop, you MIGHT get called by AJ and get paid (again depending on the player), but you're definitely getting called by a set /images/graemlins/wink.gif. There is no way you call on the turn. The $5 bet, well smaller than the pot, is either a value bet with AJ or a scared bet because he has A's or K's again. Either way, you're screwed. He doesn't re-raise on the flop with anything below a set, J, or AA KK.

This is why I DEFINITELY don't slow play in stakes this low. While you're still going to get some really loose calls, if you just limp you have ZERO idea what you're up against, and have no idea how to read bets. Players ARE bad enough to make that re-raise with Jx, and the only way to narrow the possibility of them having that is to raise pf, and more than the standard 3x.

meleader2
09-19-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok. Other than Preflop what are your thoughts about the fold here?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd say it's good. u have no idea really what he could have because the betting is wrong.