PDA

View Full Version : BB LP 1st Hand on Table....Lay off raise with med strength ?

09-19-2005, 05:42 PM
3-6 Party Skins
I post the BB in LP after the button goes by. It is the first hand at a new table. All EPs & MPs fold to me. I'm holding a medium/strong hand, say K-10s. Typically in this spot I'm raising. What I've found is that if I end upshowing down a loser, I can't get anyone to fold to me for many, many hands. I've just created an image for myself that dictates to others, "Don't fold to him." This is a problem for agressive style since fold value for all decisions has all but evapoated. So my thoughts are:

Do I skip raising in this spot so I don't have to adjust my play due to this "First Impression" image, or do I fire away and plan on showing down winners the next few hands I'm involved in if I get this reation? I play 5-8 tables at a time so I don't want to get too many styles going at once. Can I compare the value of that one hand, to the value of the undesirable image. Is that image really undesirable?

What are your thoughts?

Azhrarn
09-19-2005, 06:13 PM
I think you're reading too much into this situation. KTs is a super easy open raise in late position, regardless of whether you've posted. I think how you play it post-flop is likely to have a much bigger impact on your table image than whehter you raise or check with a decent hand before the flop.

Now if you were raising 82o on your post, that may raise some eyebrows. But there are lots of experienced poker players in these parts who think you should raise your post with any two cards if it's been folded to you.

09-19-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you're reading too much into this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you're right.

I just hate to think that I caused the situation to whereas I can't pick up a pot without a hand for like a half hour/45 min. just to make a play that might only have a 1-1.5BB expectancy.

Thanks for the input.