PDA

View Full Version : KJ - how many outs is J-flush (third) worth?

Akimka
09-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Unfortunately this is first hand on table and no reads on anyone.

Is my flop raise is spewing? Fold turn or draw to 3rd flush?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (6 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (11 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

River: (17 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 19 BB

Azhrarn
09-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Flop raise is aggressive, but okay. No one raised pre-flop, so you probably have the best hand if no one has better than a pair. MP1 could be raising on a draw or a worse king.

On the turn, I would fold. It looks like UTG+2 has a flush. MP1 probably has a set or a flush (and if he capped the flop on a flush draw, it's likely to be the nut flush.) You're getting 7-1, but you're not closing the action, and you could be easily drawing dead. As a generalization, I only value the top two one card flush draws in multiway pots.

Skadet
09-19-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the turn, I would fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but think your reasoning is off. Who caps a draw, even if it's the nut draw? It is unlikely he has a flush -- unless you can put him on AQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif. I would obviously raise on the turn with AQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

But he capped on the flop. I really, really doubt he capped it with a spade draw only. More than likely you ran into K7, or 2nd/3rd set (Probably not KK as there was no PF raise). Or - and this is less likely -- he limped in with the A/images/graemlins/spade.gifAx.

Put yourself in his position. Why is he raising? He thinks he's got the solid best hand. I don't see him doing that with anything weaker than your KJ.

Azhrarn
09-19-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who caps a draw, even if it's the nut draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

On the flop, against 3 opponents, you're making money with every bet that goes in with the nut flush draw.