PDA

View Full Version : Coach scandals

Boris
05-07-2003, 01:02 PM
A college basketball coach got basically fired because he was out partying with college kids and trying to get a sniff of some Coed poontang. This is socially acceptable behavior for a college aged male but not for guy in his late 40's.

The football coach at Alabama also got fired. He went to topless dancer bar.

On the sports talk shows most of the stuff I've heard puts these two transgressions in the same class of misbehavior. I think its ridiculous. Going to a strip club is not the same as trying to screw a drunk coed who is half your age. I wouldn't even apologize for going to a strip club, whereas if I was Larry Eustachy I'd feel ashamed and resign in short order. I just can't believe these two guys are being treated in the same way. Since there seems to be alot of Moral Authority on this board I'd thought I'd troll for some opinions.

HDPM
05-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Going to a strip club definitely not a problem. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

The other thing was ridiculous too. At every college and university there are professors and students hooking up. It is worse to do when undergraduates are concerned. But nothing is done even if there are policies in place. Those women weren't even students at his school were they? When they are students and an older person has a position of authority it is disturbing conduct. If they were students at his school I'd understand the firing, although I might not have fired him myself.

The funny thing is that universities who run big time sports programs think they have any right to enforce any moral standards. They completely sell out the values (or what should be the values) of a university, then try to convey a wholesome image. And when the issue is sex, the hypocricy really comes out. Anybody here ever see "recruiting hostesses?" They are not exactly ugly girls sitting in the library studying. College sports have always been corrupt. Adding a pseudo-moral veneer to them doesn't do anything for me.

B-Man
05-07-2003, 02:59 PM
I agreed with most of what you and HDPM wrote... until I read the espn.com story on Price this afternoon. There is nothing wrong with going to a (completely legal) strip club, but apparently he did a lot more than that. Prostitution is illegal (in most states, anyway!) and immoral, and clearly violated the morals clause of his contract.

Price was an idiot and deserved to be fired.

HDPM
05-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Why is prostitution immoral per se? Certainly there are aspects of it that are bad where it is kept underground, but why is it immoral in itself? And how does a prostitute differ from a college athlete getting a scholarship? Both use their bodies as they choose for the entertainment of others and personal gain don't they?

snakehead
05-07-2003, 06:07 PM
This is socially acceptable behavior for a college aged male but not for guy in his late 40's.

I would be interested to know if your opinion changes when you are in your late 40's.

maybe I should quit playing poker, too.

Boris
05-07-2003, 07:30 PM
sorry. I meant not socially acceptable behavior for a faculty/staff member.

Oski
05-07-2003, 09:36 PM
The main problem with Price is that he was specifically told by the AD not to do the very thing he did. It seems the old coach had a sex scandal and Bama wanted to get off to a clean start with Price, not for Price to just get off.

Also, it was specifically told to Price the moral clause was to be inforced on this very trip to Florida...you think the guy could keep it in his pants for a weekend.

M2d
05-08-2003, 12:26 PM
if not the prostitution, how about his company staying in the room and putting a grand of room service on the hotel bill, then Price submitting it as an expense?

HDPM
05-08-2003, 12:59 PM
If he submitted 1K of room service as an expense to a government institution he should be fired instantly. Did he do this? I was not aware of that. The real immorality is that public schools support intercollegiate athletics. The taxpayers really do get hit. Big time intercollegiate sports are an utterly immoral pursuit at government funded schools.

Oski
05-08-2003, 06:42 PM
According to Sports Illustrated, the prostitute did order $1,000.00 worth of food (in to go boxes) but the hotel would not let her take it. Price was notified, and he settled up the bill - thus the implication is he did not submit it as an expense, nor did he pay for it with his 'Bama-card.