PDA

View Full Version : Preflop ditty

Entity
09-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Party 10/20 6m. You probably have a good image but it doesn't matter much because this game is pretty crazy. LAG (46/27, autobets) opens UTG. Two homies who are generally loose, can be aggressive after the flop but are mostly passive, coldcall.

You are on the Button and know the SB and BB are somewhat tight, good players.

In the range of offsuit hands, what are we coldcalling? I'm curious because I coldcalled KQo (first time in recent memory), it felt easy and good and everything, and I autofolded an A29r flop when the LAG bet and both coldcallers called, but I sorta became curious about where we 3-bet and where we call. For example, I'm not 3-betting AJo there and I think 3-betting AQo is actually a close decision. What do we do with KJo? KQo (heh)?

Also, what range of suited hands become a coldcall here? 98s? T9s seems easy.

Rob

Lmn55d
09-19-2005, 03:42 PM
I'd 3bet AQo here in a hearbeat. AJo I'd usually 3bet. IF blinds were loose I'd call with AJo. KQo I think the coldcall is ok, but I like a 3bet a little better for value and to ensure that the blinds fold. I probably play ATo too.

cartman
09-20-2005, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd 3bet AQo here in a hearbeat. AJo I'd usually 3bet. IF blinds were loose I'd call with AJo. KQo I think the coldcall is ok, but I like a 3bet a little better for value and to ensure that the blinds fold. I probably play ATo too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. This is a shock to me. I fold every offsuit hand except for AK because of the big cards being partially dead and because I am not happy about putting a bunch of bets into a pot that will be at least 4-way with an offsuit unpaired hand when I will not be exuberant about any one-pair hand on the flop. I also call with any pocket pair and any two suited broadway here. Am I out of my mind?

Thanks,
Cartman

Surfbullet
09-20-2005, 04:54 AM
Hey Entity,

I 3bet AJo+ here. KQs is a def 3bet, KQo is probably where I draw the line, but still raise - I want those tight-but-good blinds out if I'm going to play...the BB will be calling with any 2 suited if I flatcall, if I reraise I get them out of the pot nearly always.

I think folding is better than cold-calling with KQo, though. We're making a mess of a pot inviting good players in for cheap from the blinds, and ending up with what may be 6way with lots of aggressive (though more predictable-ish from the loosies?) players and a hand that prefers fewer players.

If i'm not raising I'm folding offsuit hands. Suited connectors I'll call 9Ts/TJs, and any PP. I'd probably flat-call a suited broadway since they play well multiway.

One other thing. The loose-but-aggressives in-between never have AK/AQ/AA/KK/QQ/JJ since they'd 3bet that in a heartbeat. If anyone's dominated, it's them(when we hold KQ+, AJ+). We're in good shape against the PFR's range, so I'm more confident about my 3bet.

Also, I tend to shy away from continuation-betting KQo UI on the flop 4way against 3 pretty aggressive players. They c/r way too often, I consider my pf3bet for value and to get me 4 cards to pair up instead of 3, since I'm not winning this without a showdown.

Surf

ThePenguin
09-20-2005, 05:03 AM
I would usually fold KQo in this spot, but raise AJo. I don't feel comfortable calling because I hate being on the button without initiative, and I don't like raising because I assume that more often than not we do not have an equity advantage here, we could be dominated, plus there are the two solid guys to act after us. Even if you raise and one of them calls, where does that put you? I would raise AJo a little more than half the time here, because I would feel have the edge often enough and I want to keep the blinds out. AQ is almost auto-raise for me. I don't think I'd call a suited hand lower than QJs.

I'm just a humble 5/10 player though, and have much to learn. Do you call 109s in hopes that the blinds call and swell the pot? I can't see much to calling that hand unless 5-6 players see the flop. Also, am I giving the guys who acted before me too much credit folding KQ? [censored], sorry for all the questions. this is Entity's post.

MoDOH
09-20-2005, 05:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would usually fold KQo in this spot

[/ QUOTE ]
You canīt fold KQo when a guy who raises 20+% of his hands opens and two loose passive guys CC. the question is if you threebet to stop the two TAG:ish guys to come along or if you call.
I favor calling since you donīt have a great,if any, edge postflop with KQo and you donīt want to boost the pot too much with this hand.
Now if there was a tightey with a pfr of 10 that opened UTG and a TAG that CC, then you can fold with a clear conscience...

both AJo and AQo is closer to raising. Iīm probably raising AJo something like 25% and AQo closer to 50% but it depends...

89s is probably the lowest i would go with a suited hand. It depends on exactly how bad the LAG and LP:s are postflop and how likely I am to be given a free turn card if needed...