PDA

View Full Version : Missed Class, need excuses etc

Voltron87
09-19-2005, 02:32 PM
So today my first class started at 1:30. I thought it started at 2:10, and it's too late to show up now. Which is a shame since this year I made a promise to myself not to skip class and really was going to stick to it. well, 2nd full week and the streak is over.

The professor said the syllabus was still changing and I want to find out what the deal is next time I show up, what should I say? Hospital visit is my best effort idea so far, maybe I thought I broke a toe, whats the play?

steelcmg
09-19-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So today my first class started at 1:30. I thought it started at 2:10, and it's too late to show up now. Which is a shame since this year I made a promise to myself not to skip class and really was going to stick to it. well, 2nd full week and the streak is over.

The professor said the syllabus was still changing and I want to find out what the deal is next time I show up, what should I say? Hospital visit is my best effort idea so far, maybe I thought I broke a toe, whats the play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just tell him the truth most of my professors understood since its only the 2nd week of school

LetYouDown
09-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Kool-Aid Man jumped through your wall and offered you a tasty beverage. You obliged.

In all seriousness, what's wrong with saying you were sick? If you're apologetic, and seem sincere, it shouldn't be a problem. Is this a really small class?

MEbenhoe
you know no one else in this class? how is that possible?

kyro
Tell him you missed class because you were stoned. He'll understand.

09-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Why would you need an excuse for class. Tell him you fu.cked up, the end.

Voltron87
09-19-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just tell him the truth most of my professors understood since its only the 2nd week of school

[/ QUOTE ]

its actually a her, and I dont think it would get me off on the best foot. I could say scheduling conflict, etc. IMO it would be the whitest of lies since I really do want to find out what happened so I can catch up.

Voltron87
09-19-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its a seminar class which meets once a week, on a monday and because of labor day its only met once. so i dont know anyone other than "hi im chris"

tonypaladino
09-19-2005, 03:29 PM
is this your first semester in college or something?

I skip probably 40-50% of all my classes avery semester and have a 3.32 gpa.

Don't worry about it.

If you feel the need to give an excuse, tell the truth, that you mixed up the times.

pokerdirty
09-19-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is this your first semester in college or something?

I skip probably 40-50% of all my classes avery semester and have a 3.32 gpa.

Don't worry about it.

If you feel the need to give an excuse, tell the truth, that you mixed up the times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've taken mostly seminars for the past 3 semesters, and usually you can't miss these since you only have them once an week and they are usually less than 20 people.

as for your excuse, just tell the truth. I did the same thing on my first day of class this year (had 2:45 in my palm pilot, class started at 2) told the prof the truth, and he was fine with it.

bosoxfan
09-19-2005, 04:36 PM
use one of these. thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=3443266&pa ge=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

jedi
09-19-2005, 04:56 PM
"I overslept."

LetYouDown
09-19-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So today my first class started at 1:30

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"I overslept."

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL. Sadly enough, this would have been the honest answer to the majority of my freshman chem classes.

09-19-2005, 05:07 PM
Your beater of a car broke down on the highway on the way to class. You are a student, you have less moneys, this is a good one.

threeonefour
09-19-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i am in my fourth year of college and i know nobody in 5 out of 6 classes...

but i'm probably more antisocial than you

danzasmack
09-19-2005, 05:23 PM
what school do you go to?

facebook somebody in your class.

also, if i miss a class early in the semester i use 1 of the following:

1) i worked full time over the summer and HAD to go in to train my replacement (i live in manhattan)
2) i just switched into the class OR was supposed to switch out but it fell through

facebook is good though.

B Dids
09-19-2005, 05:34 PM
You're in college how about "I didn't feel like coming to class?"

Voltron87
09-19-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, if i was a prof and a student said that to me it would not reflect well on them, to put it mildly.

The Yugoslavian
09-19-2005, 05:58 PM
You haven't dropped out?

How are you going to become an invincible STT master if you have to think of excuses to miss class?!

Dude, come on, get with (or without) the program!

Yugoslav

Phoenix1010
09-19-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Love those commercials.

John Cole
09-19-2005, 06:22 PM
You think we actually care?

Voltron87
09-19-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You think we actually care?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think I care about you not caring?

jkkkk
09-19-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I overslept."

[/ QUOTE ]

Works for me.

M2d
09-19-2005, 06:46 PM
you met a chick who is a flight attendant. she's transferring to another country tomorrow and this morning was your only chance to siihp? I'm sure he'll understand.

09-19-2005, 06:56 PM
Yea but sometimes in college you have to make up midterms that you accidently skipped

09-19-2005, 07:09 PM
You were at the DMV getting your renewed/license (it was lost). Those DMV lines were ridiculous, and the workers were slow and incompetent.

jason_t
09-19-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, if i was a prof and a student said that to me it would not reflect well on them, to put it mildly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite frankly, I would appreciate your honesty so much over the other crap I have to put up with that there really wouldn't be any negative thoughts. We're all adults, we understand things happen.

Sponger15SB
09-19-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea but sometimes in college you have to make up midterms that you accidently skipped

[/ QUOTE ]

*whistles* never happened to me before....

Sponger15SB
09-19-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You were at the DMV getting your renewed/license (it was lost). Those DMV lines were ridiculous, and the workers were slow and incompetent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jason says...

[ QUOTE ]
Quite frankly, I would appreciate your honesty so much over the other crap I have to put up with

[/ QUOTE ]

BillNye
09-19-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

awsome

Voltron87
09-19-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We're all adults, we understand things happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're greatly overestimating the maturity of my professors. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

In any other situation I would play it straight up, but I'm hestitating to do so since A. this woman seems like a self absorbed bitch and B it kind of sets the tone for my relationship with her

also, i have to ask myself why am I taking a class about hippies? I hate hippies. All the source material we're looking at, i just sit there thinking "these people are dumbasses, wtf are they talking about flower power? theyre full of [censored]" its a class on 60s politics and the radical movement, my last addition. the first book was bill ayers memoirs of being the leader of the weathermen, who from what I can tell are dumbass rich kid hippies who deluded themselves into thinking they were serious intellectuals who knew everything and could actually have an impact by becoming militant but ended blowing themselves up.

tom441lbk
09-19-2005, 08:53 PM
drop the class, you're already too far behind

MikeNaked
09-19-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, i have to ask myself why am I taking a class about hippies? I hate hippies. All the source material we're looking at, i just sit there thinking "these people are dumbasses, wtf are they talking about flower power? theyre full of [censored]" its a class on 60s politics and the radical movement, my last addition. the first book was bill ayers memoirs of being the leader of the weathermen, who from what I can tell are dumbass rich kid hippies who deluded themselves into thinking they were serious intellectuals who knew everything and could actually have an impact by becoming militant but ended blowing themselves up.

[/ QUOTE ]

You already know it all. So drop it.

gamblore99
09-19-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this one. It being the truth is also a plus.

STLantny
09-19-2005, 10:18 PM
I like to blame family, say your brother/sister/father/mothers etc car broke down, adn they are stranded.

Voltron87
09-19-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You already know it all. So drop it.

[/ QUOTE ]

hot girls + class once a week + two papers total + easy A= voltron enrolled.

09-19-2005, 11:40 PM
Well, whatever reason you came up with, I hope you already told the professor, because during the eight (if I remember right) hours between your first and last post was your prime time for staying in good graces. Bad news doesn't get better with age.

Transference
09-19-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Profs dont have the time or inclination to sort out which excuses are bs and which arnt. Some will rsepect you for telling the truth, some wont but they all get irritated by unlikely excuses.

BottlesOf
09-20-2005, 12:18 AM
Just say you missed last class. He probably won't press it--you're not in high school anymore. But you can always say you were sick, or there was a "family emergency".

BottlesOf
09-20-2005, 12:37 AM
You know the "we" he refers to is "college professors", not the 2+2 community?

His response is actually dead on. You don't have an issue here.

tonypaladino
09-20-2005, 01:44 AM

it's not NYU is it?

cause I don't hate you, and I'd hate to have to start

Voltron87
09-20-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

it's not NYU is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, columbia. worse?

tonypaladino
09-20-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

it's not NYU is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, columbia. worse?

[/ QUOTE ]

no

columbia has its share of tools/non-tools same as the general population.

NYU is 99% tools

pryor15
09-20-2005, 02:09 AM
show up late. for most professors this isn't a big problem. i was known for showing up with 10 minutes left and telling the prof i had a meeting that went long. depends on the prof, though. the fact that you made an effort is better than blowing the whole class off.

smokingrobot
09-20-2005, 02:30 AM
tell him: you have 2 alarm clocks so you are usually a punctual person, however you lost power last night in your apartment when your neighbor had on too many electronic gizmo's at the same, you think he was throwing a party, the noise, the music... it was tough to fall asleep, anyway, it was and never will be a pattern in your future.