PDA

View Full Version : J9s Flops Top Pair And Faces Turn Pressure

CIncyHR
09-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Raise to siolate on flop standard? Is this dependent on the fact that I have 2 backdoors, or is that just icing?

When I get c/r'd on the turn, im folding if I dont have the OESD right?

Theres no way I can check behind on the river?

More help for a new full table player.

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6.00 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (5.00 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.00 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 11.00 BB.

imported_The Vibesman
09-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Looks fine to me, and your thoughts throughout seem spot-on.

Aaron W.
09-19-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise to siolate on flop standard? Is this dependent on the fact that I have 2 backdoors, or is that just icing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising with top pair here is standard. You're raising to isolate the bettor which protects your hand from other random draws. It's also for value when villain has a weaker hand than yours.

[ QUOTE ]
When I get c/r'd on the turn, im folding if I dont have the OESD right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reads help. I'm inclined to call. The overcard really doesn't scare me that much because villain bet the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Theres no way I can check behind on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can... but everyone here will think you're weak (more importantly, you lose money).

CIncyHR
09-19-2005, 02:44 PM
So if we call the c/r on the turn, whast the plan on the river? Cal a blank and fold a scary card? And if so, what cards are scray? A,K,Q,T,9, maybe even 8? That seems like a bad line. Am I worng here?

aargh57
09-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Flop I think is a standard raise here.

On the turn I don't think that you are dropping just because you got c/r'd even without the OESD. For example, say you get c/r'd if the A /images/graemlins/club.gif falls instead of the Q? Now it's still 8 to one back to you. I think that you're awfully close to a five outer here, in addition, the guy could be betting a flush draw.

On the river, I think that your bet was good.

CIncyHR
09-19-2005, 03:35 PM
So if Im calling that turn c/r even without the draw, whats the river plan? Id love to see input on this. Im almost certain to get bet in to. Am I really willing to put in two BB to see this showdown?

MrWookie47
09-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Ye be gettin' 9:2 on callin' down. If the turn brought an A in stead, 'tis best to fold faster than a rat leaving a sinking ship, says I. Yer not winnin' 15% of the time.

CIncyHR
09-19-2005, 04:34 PM
He has QTx and MHIG. Im still not so sure about the calldown on a Q. Def not an A, what about a K? And what do I consider scare cards on the river?

Aaron W.
09-19-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So if we call the c/r on the turn, whast the plan on the river? Cal a blank and fold a scary card? And if so, what cards are scray? A,K,Q,T,9, maybe even 8? That seems like a bad line. Am I worng here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you're wrong. You will often lose this pot. But how often? It's 9:2 to call down, which means you only need to be best here about 18% of the time. It's going to be close since you have no read.

Since this is a full ring game, I'm starting to lean towards folding. In a 5-max game, you give up way too much if you automatically dump this against a turn check-raise.

About scare cards. I wouldn't hate it if you dumped to a king or ace falling, but I would probably still call. Folding if another queen falls is a little on the tight side, since it means that villain is much less likely to have paired his overcard kicker on the turn. A ten isn't so scary, nor is a nine.

By the way, I wouldn't raise if villain bet into you when the jack paired. Getting 3-bet will be very very bad but you won't be able to fold. Betting when he checks to you is fine.

09-19-2005, 05:49 PM
I don't see what you're protecting here as you're the one drawing here with your weak kicker, bdfd &amp; bdsd. You want people in that pot.

PokerSparky
09-19-2005, 06:07 PM
What makes you think hero doesn't have the best hand? Raising this flop is mandatory. We'd like to see a bazillion different hands fold here.

CourtJester
09-19-2005, 07:00 PM
I think it was fine, and yeah the OESD on turn makes enough outs for u to call. NH