PDA

View Full Version : Overpair versus overbet

11t
09-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Villain sat down this orbit so I am readless. Is this a call at this level but not a call at a higher level? I was lost on this flop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB ($11)
Hero ($42)
MP ($81)
Button ($52.80)
SB ($14.70)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($4.75) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $45</font>, Hero...

09-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Call. You will see a worse hand &gt;50% of the time here.

Dumle

09-19-2005, 03:24 PM
I disagree. I fold in this situation. Without a solid read on villain, there's a good chance you are beaten in this situation, and really isn't worth the risk at that point. I also try not to put all of my chips at risk to a readless opponent with only an overpair. I would hate to get stacked by a set, 2 pair, or even an overpair like K's because I was too impatient to wait for a more profitable situation. Fold that ish.

--solids

Riposte
09-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Fold it man. Most people don't raise with something worse than top pair.

I think a good general rule is to always fold top pair to a raise. There are always exceptions to the rule of course, like some LAG psycho maniac.

Without a read, I fold.

09-19-2005, 03:47 PM
im agree i fold it too, why risking all your stack with only 1 pair, your vilain may easy have flop a set of 10,6 or 2. but the more prob hand is TT, QQ,KK or AA.
Im sure your vilan have not 2 pair (because 10-6, 6-2,10,2) following a 2$ pre-flop raise with those hand humm ? .

I fold it whitout hesitation( except if i have more info on your vilain!)

subzero
09-19-2005, 04:12 PM
If villain had a big hand like TT, 66, or 22, do you think he'd want to scare you away with a big overbet like that? This is practically a drawless board (unless villain is crazy enough to push with an gutshot draw). I actually think he may have AK or AQ and you're a slight favorite. If that's the case, you have the pot odds to call, but it will increase variance. Without a read though, I have to lay this down. If villain is such a donk that he'd risk all of his chips for an $8 pot with overcards, you'll have plenty of chances to win money from him later.

dtbog
09-19-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a good general rule is to always fold top pair to a raise. There are always exceptions to the rule of course, like some LAG psycho maniac.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll raise you on every flop, then.

Seriously, this point isn't trivial -- if this is your line with top pair every single time, then someone is going to catch on and force you to make a lot of bad folds.