PDA

View Full Version : AJo...my worst hand

TheHammer24
09-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Villian is 80/1.2/1 over 60 hands

AJo is my biggest loser /images/graemlins/frown.gif. I'm looking through hands to try and figure out why. What's my action and plan afterwards. Specifically, what do I do if I raise and he checks the turn? Raise and he bets the turn? Call and he bets the turn? Call and he checks the turn? Include river in your plan.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ....</font>

Final Pot: 6.75 BB

ErrantNight
09-19-2005, 01:43 PM
calls.

and if it's your worst hand you're either vastly overplaying it (cold-calling or 3-betting too frequently against raisers, staying in hands too long... raising too many flops that miss... *cough*), and/or your simply experiencing some variance. it's a good hand. it will win you money.

TheHammer24
09-19-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
calls.

and if it's your worst hand you're either vastly overplaying it (cold-calling or 3-betting too frequently against raisers, staying in hands too long... raising too many flops that miss... *cough*), and/or your simply experiencing some variance. it's a good hand. it will win you money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im entirely too aggressive with it. I raise too many flops and don't fold it enough on the turn.

On this hand, I call the flop..villian bets the turn. Fold?

alul
09-19-2005, 01:54 PM
... calls and considers to raise the turn.

09-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Against a typical opponent that's how I would play it.

Though he seems pretty aggressive for having such a VPIP, so maybe I call down. You might have the best hand against this guy, and if not you get to see what he has and as he has 80% VPIP you will likely be in a lot of pots with him so it might be worth it.

ErrantNight
09-19-2005, 01:56 PM
yeah. this villain is extremely passive... the flop is actually pretty close in this situation, only because such a passive opponent has a 6 much more frequently than against an unknown (or a tag, or a lag, or any other classification of player). not often enough to fold, but enough to make a turn fold mucho easy, unimproved.

JinX11
09-19-2005, 01:56 PM
I call the flop bet. You have two overs - unless Villian has a 6, I'm thinking your outs are all clean. If he's betting a duece or a lower PP, you have odds to peel.

TURN:
Unimproved - Villian checks, I check-behind 50%, bet 50%. I bet here sometimes to try and take a free showdown unimproved. I fold to a Villian bet.

Jack - I bet/raise.

Ace - Villian bets, I raise. However, if Villian checks, I check-behind 50%, bet 50%. The Ace has to be a scare card for Villian since I raised pre-flop and I don't want him to fold to a turn bet from me. So, I may check-behind and hope he bets the river. If my kicker plays, I raise and fold to a three-bet. If my kicker does not play, I call his river bet.

FLAME AWAY.

09-19-2005, 01:59 PM
How do you interprety the PT stats? Everyone always says that this is actually very high aggression for a player with a VPIP of 80. Thanks.

ErrantNight
09-19-2005, 02:01 PM
a 1 is high? what would be low?

ErrantNight
09-19-2005, 02:02 PM
i'm not sure why you wouldn't bet an ace. taking down this pot on the turn is fine.

09-19-2005, 02:04 PM
It's just something I have read before. I think it is due to the specifics of how aggression factor is calculated. A player playing 80% of his hands is likely calling and folding a lot more than he is betting and raising, b/c he usually doesn't have good hands. So he actually has to be pretty aggresive to even get his AF up to 1. I'll look up the thread and link it if I can find it. Thanks.

Entity
09-19-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a 1 is high? what would be low?

[/ QUOTE ]

VPIP and aggression are correlated; as VPIP goes up, a lower aggression factor tends to show that the player is betting/raising with a greater relative frequency than most. So while a 14/2/1 player is incredibly passive, an 80/1.2/1 player is actually fairly aggressive, at least postflop.

ErrantNight
09-19-2005, 02:06 PM
then apparantly i misunderstand how aggression factor is determined

istewart
09-19-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think you understood it well (that simple formula PT has). It's just that if someone is playing 100% of their hands (for example) and still bets and raises as much as he calls while playing so many hands, that's very aggressive.

TheHammer24
09-19-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The formula is an equation relating Betting and raising to calling. If a villian sees 10% of his hands, then he would be more prone to bet and raise since he is seeing boards with premium whole cards. Conversely, seeing 80% of the flops, a player will be betting and raising with cards that are marginal so to bet with these weaker cards a villian is more aggressive.