PDA

View Full Version : Talk To Me About the Stop'N'Go

FakeKramer
09-19-2005, 01:07 PM
The Stop'N'Go is a play I rarely ever use. I've been trying to locate some spots where I can use it. I just tried it on the following hand history. Was this an okay spot for it? What did I do wrong? Was there a better move? Thanks!

***** Hand History for Game 2738832163 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Trny:15877430 Level:6 Blinds(100/200) - Monday, September 19, 12:57:10 EDT 2005
Table Table 14106 (Real Money)
Seat 10 is the button
Total number of players : 3
Seat 7: coyne777 ( $2825 )
Seat 8: TheRoyalWee ( $2275 )
Seat 10: shizl ( $2900 )
Trny:15877430 Level:6
Blinds(100/200)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to TheRoyalWee [ 9s As ]
shizl raises [475].
coyne777 folds.
TheRoyalWee calls [275].
>You have options at Table 13791 Table!.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Qc, Qs, 2d ]
TheRoyalWee is all-In [1800]
shizl folds.
TheRoyalWee does not show cards.
TheRoyalWee wins 2850 chips

ewing55
09-19-2005, 01:22 PM
I don't think what you did is considered a Stop'nGo.

My example: I was in the Big Blind w/500 with two cards. 4 players remaining. 1 fold and the Huge Stack/Button limps for 200. SB folds. I'm already in for 200 of my 500 chips. If I push, I'm guessing the HugeStack will probably call. It is a small portion of his chips. The flops comes with three cards. I push my remaining 300 chips into the pot quickly. I'm a hopin' and a prayin' that the flop misses my opponent and now he'll fold. He did. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

---------------Jeff

09-19-2005, 01:24 PM
I am afraid, that this is not a good spot to apply the stop'n'go.

The Flop isn't a great one for you. When you go all in here, it screams :"i have no queen and no pair" so he is calling you with a queen and pocket pairs when you are dominated. If you decide to call the PFR i would recommend to check it to him if you think you have the better hand. You induce a continuation bluff and Check raise him all in.
I would say if you just had less than 1000 chips after the preflop call the stop'n'go is better, because he feels commited with Kx and Ax then.
In your case i push preflop. You can get calls with a lot of hands that don't call your stop'n'go like KJs A5 JTs because he thinks he is commited and you could be on a resteal. And you give him no possibility to outflop you.

pokerlaw
09-19-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The Flop isn't a great one for you. When you go all in here, it screams :"i have no queen and no pair" so he is calling you with a queen and pocket pairs when you are dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think taht hero's push here could very well be a PP, of course it prob isnt a Q, but he is calling w/ one regardless.

I think the most important factor re: a stop and go here on this hand is what you put villain on by this raise. Also, his ability to lay down a hand is important to pull this move here.

however, one of the best times to do this move IMO would be if villain's raising range is wide, BUT, if that is the case, then it is prob best to RR or push PF anyway...

I usually do a stop and go when i have a low chip stack such that i dont get much FE from a PF push. Also, i tend to do it more when there are 3-6 or so people left, and one of them put in a PF raise that I sensed was weak.

stupidsucker
09-19-2005, 01:39 PM
What you did is indeed a stop N go, but I normaly do them while not ITM.

A stop and go defined imo is -
When you cold call preflop in early position (almost always the BB) with the intention to push first in on ANY flop.

If you hit real nice then slowplay is ok, but you cant cold call preflop if you intend to not push on a board like QQx. Forgive me if I am wrong, but saying that isnt a good flop for a Stop N go is crazy. You can't be so picky with a stop N go. I think QQX board is perfect.

illegit
09-19-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The Flop isn't a great one for you. When you go all in here, it screams :"i have no queen and no pair" so he is calling you with a queen and pocket pairs when you are dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why are you analyzing the texture of the flop when the definition of a stop-n-go means to call a PF raise and push any flop? If a particular flop is going to scare you then what you're doing is not a stop and go. It's called calling a raise.

Anyways, A9s with your chip stack is probably good enough for a PF re-raise AI. But a stop and go here seems about equally good if not better.

45suited
09-19-2005, 01:49 PM
Looks fine to me. I think what the people who don't like your play are ignoring is that it is entirely possible, if not likely, that you had the better hand PF and on the flop, and that had you pushed PF, he would have folded as well.

He just barely more than mini-raised and you had A9s. Depending on how often villain had been raising, I'm likely pushing pre-flop.

downtown
09-19-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks fine to me. I think what the people who don't like your play are ignoring is that it is entirely possible, if not likely, that you had the better hand PF and on the flop, and that had you pushed PF, he would have folded as well.

He just barely more than mini-raised and you had A9s. Depending on how often villain had been raising, I'm likely pushing pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify this line, which I agree with, the stop and go is best applied when you have little FE preflop, but may be able to induce a fold after the flop. IMO you still had FE preflop, and I would have likely pushed preflop in this spot.

schwza
09-19-2005, 02:57 PM
this has probably been said but a push is better because you have FE.