PDA

View Full Version : 88 in LMP

Lil Ribbit
05-07-2003, 08:32 AM
Online 1-2. Table is strange. Loose and passive, especially after the flop. Often times, a hand will have 5-6 limpers, but whenever I've raised, they all fold.

This particular hand I was 3 off the button and recieved 88. Everyone limped to me so it was 5 handed already.

I raised.... (comments)? I figured I could try to buy the button and maybe scare people away like all my previous raises.

Mission accomplished as the cutoff and button folded. So did the SB. BB calls, everyone calls. 7 handed.

Flop 794 two hearts.

Checked to UTG+2 who I've been pushing around. He bets, one call and I raise.. (good raise?)

All fold except BB and UTG+2 re-raises, call and call.

I figure I'm behind now and I think BB is drawing to flush. Doesn't seem like UTG+2 would raise a draw like this.

Turn - can't recall, a face card of somesort. UTG+2 bets and I fold.... (comments?)

Eventually a heart came and BB took the pot down. UTG+2 had 99 for trips. How was my play?

Thanks!

Lil Ribbit

SoBeDude
05-07-2003, 09:17 AM
I think raising with 88 after so many callers is a mistake.

With several people in the pot already you need to play it for set value. So limp in with it and fold if you miss your set (or unless all smaller cards flop, then play aggressively).

Most flops will contain an overcard to an 8. I'm not going to do the math but I'd guess its over 90% of the time. With a bunch of limpers the overcard(s) will help someone and you'll not likely be able to push them off, especially at 1-2.

middle pairs is a big leak for many players I think.

-Scott

Jeffro
05-07-2003, 10:42 AM
Preflop- With 5 players already limping I want to see this flop cheaply and would just call.
Flop- After your raise pre-flop I think you can raise for information here, you did, you got it, time to fold.
Turn- Fold a no brainer here, but think you could have done this on the flop, after a bet and a call.

I would have let this go on the flop and lost $1, as opposed to $5.

Bubmack
05-07-2003, 11:17 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I'm not going to do the math but I'd guess its over 90% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice guess...Its about 1 in 9.06 times

Bubs

Clarkmeister
05-07-2003, 11:25 AM
You gave excellent reasons for your preflop raise and given the situation I agree with it 100%. You played the hand fine.

Nottom
05-07-2003, 11:38 AM
I think you played this hand fine.

The one question I have is did you have the 8d? If not, you may just want to lay down on the re-raise. Even though you are getting decent odds to spike your set (which wouldn't be good anyway, but you didn't know that) you don't want to hit it and make the flush. Combined with the gutshot possiblity, you would need pretty good odds to make the call here.

Jeffro
05-07-2003, 11:51 AM
While I agree the preflop raise is a viable option, I think unless your holding the 8 of hearts calling the 3 bet on flop is horrendous you are getting nowhere near the odds to draw to one out. Correct me if I'm wrong.