PDA

View Full Version : table selection??

soccerboy9
09-19-2005, 12:15 PM
ok im pretty new to internet poker except for free rolls basically. does table selection play a big roll in games such as the party .5-1? if so what do you look for pot size? certain players? any help that you can give me will be very helpful

GTSamIAm
09-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Big pot size, lots of limping preflop with little raising, people chasing and showing down bad hands.

Bankuri
09-19-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Big pot size, lots of limping preflop with little raising, people chasing and showing down bad hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen people go for a wide range of pot sizes. A lot of people like to sit at a table with 5-7 BB pot sizes, another group like to sit at tables with the biggest pots (10-12 BB at the .5/1 limit). I suppose it depends on the type of game you want to play.

As for people chasing and showing down bad hands, I don't think you need table selection to get that. Unless you happen to sit down at a 2+2 table there will be plenty of people playing terrible hands to the end.

numeri
09-19-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Pot size can be deceptive - beware of a table with a couple maniacs at it inflating the pot size. These tables are hard to play at first, and position is key.

To the OP: You want loose, passive players. And more important than table selection is seat selection. You'd like to be to the left of the loose players so you can see if they've already entered. The tight players are better on your left so you can raise and steal blinds and/or buy the button.

It's not as important in 0.5/1, but still very useful.

GTSamIAm
09-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Yes, I agree with your statement. It depends on if you want to do more bluffing/semibluffing and pot stealing or little bluffing/semibluffing and mostly value betting.