PDA

View Full Version : Strategy for limping - useful hands?

09-19-2005, 12:04 PM
This may be a silly question, but since I've discovered that I'm too tight (VPI about 14 lately) and very rarely limp in with anything but pp's, I realized that I need more hands to play on passive tables. And also that I need to reduce my overall PFR frequency (especially from LP where I used to raise up lots of hands, leaving me vulnerable post flop).

I'm thinking of upping the amount of limping in MP/LP a lot. On really passive tables perhaps also more limping in EP.

As I see it now, unraised pots are designed to trap weak players who will overplay crappy TP hands (like the BB loving his J5 on a J62 flop, and I hold AJ or 66/22). And I do my utmost to avoid risking my stack in these spots. Thus I have no problem laying down marginal hits to heat, but don't really like having to split my attention to marginally EV+ situations.

With that as base-philosophy, what are good hands to limp in with?

Of course, big cards like KJ (or any 2 >=T) will more often be ahead on the flop than stuff like 65o. But then the post-flop play will be all that more delicate - weeding out the JT from the AJ limpers takes time and energy. And I will make mistakes along the way.

Now I'm inclined to think that small connected cards, along with Axs, be better to use for the trapping purpose, hoping to catch >=2 pair or cheap OE-draws/nut-flush draws. And never to risk much on baby flush-draws with SCs.

Again, the main purpose I see in playing more unraised pots is to get cheap shots at trapping weak opponents. But it also serves to make me appear more human, and less like the natural rock that I am.

Grateful for thoughts on this matter!

/Zal3

Macquarie
09-19-2005, 11:06 PM
I guess the problem is you don't want to limp too many hands that you have to fold to a late raise. If you're limping KJ and the like, I think you may be throwing away money.

I think you want to limp in after limpers with hands with good implied odds (low PP, SCs) that can stand a raise after you especially if one of the limpers also calls.

Open limping seems to be frowned upon, but I open limp low PPs.

cracker9521
09-19-2005, 11:15 PM
I'll limp low pps, suitd connectors, Axs, and every once in a while something like jq suited. Only if i'm the right kind of table though and if i'm not I go find another table unless there is a maniac at the table. If i'm in late position and everyone has folded i'll just toss a lot of these hands. You should know within an orbit or so if your table has the right conditions for a lot of limping though.