PDA

View Full Version : Is humor bad?

09-19-2005, 07:05 AM
I know people who have a self-deprecating sense of humor. I've noticed that many of these people are underacheivers. I assume this is how they cope with underacheiving, but then it may become self-evident in their new ambitions. And so, a vicious cycle is formed. Is my sample size too small or completely wrong? Do any of you notice this (or a degree of it) in yourselves?

diebitter
09-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Maybe what you call 'underachieving' is actually what they want?

09-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Overachievers have a self deprecating sense of humor too, though it's used for different purposes.

But self deprecating humor is usually pretty lame no matter who's using it - it's only really used for either getting attention or avoiding attention.

tek
09-19-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's only really used for either getting attention or avoiding attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or setting someone up for an insult/zinger to mitigate any retribution. The logic being it's harder to criticise someone who self deprecates. Falls under the category of passive-aggressive.

Autocratic
09-19-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Overachievers have a self deprecating sense of humor too, though it's used for different purposes.

But self deprecating humor is usually pretty lame no matter who's using it - it's only really used for either getting attention or avoiding attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really - I tend to be a jokemaker, as I would say. In general, most of my jokes are facetiously self-aggrandizing. However, since a lot of people don't really understand that I'm kidding, I throw in self-deprecation to make them realize that I'm not a total jackass.

09-19-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe what you call 'underachieving' is actually what they want?

[/ QUOTE ]Maybe, but it isn't. I've asked them during their rare serious moments. If someone convinces themself that it is, then I'd suspect denial.