PDA

View Full Version : Final table situation in Stud8 tournie

Mr. Peterson
05-07-2003, 12:21 AM
Hi.

$33 Stars tournie 104 starters. Down to 4 players. I'm 3rd in chips with approx. $32K, leader has ~$63K, 2nd `$50K, and 4th ~$11K. Ante is $500, Bringin $1K, playing $3K/6K.

I have the bringin with 222, and play for $1000. Other cards are 7c Th and Td. All fold to Td who raises (probably on a steal but could have something). I reraise to $6K and he calls.

I catch 7 he catches Q. He checks, I bet he calls.

I catch 9 he catches 8 (I figure he puts me on a busted low, and may have as much as 2 pair of his own), now he leads out and I raise, he calls. He has a possible flush draw.

Pot is $44K now, and I have about $10,5K left. 6th street he catches a 3, I get an A, he checks, I bet and he calls.

Pot is $56K i have $4.5 K left, he checks. I check in behind and take the pot, leaving him relatively short, and me in very close 2nd, well clear of 3rd and 4th. I chose to check so that I could alive, and maybe let the $11K stack bust first giving me a $150 jump in prize.

There was some debate between some mates of mine, and other players at the table who said I should definitely have bet the river, as I was very likely to get called and win another $4.5 K to take the lead, and push the other guy right down. While I certainly think he is likely to bet trips or better on the river, and will likely call me with one pair, I maintain that the chance that he has checked a winning bigger trips or flush/straight to me expecting me to bet. This makes it correct to check behind in what is already a monster pot, for survival in my opinion.

Only one other player really agreed with me strongly, so I would like some other opinions on the river play (and the whole hand in general).

Andy B
05-07-2003, 10:43 AM
You did everything right until the river. It's possible that he checked a stronger high hand, I suppose, but it is far more likely that he will call with a weaker hand.

When you catch the Ace on sixth street, doesn't that make you high?

Mr. Peterson
05-08-2003, 08:07 AM
Yeah it does. I was just reading the cards off the hand hitory without thinking.

Not a big deal, it's not even a full bet but I was just wondering if anyone else does this sort of thing regularly. I wouldn't normally check with trips in this situation, but definitely would with a vulnerable 2 pair.

Al_Capone_Junior
05-08-2003, 01:33 PM
I'm not going to complain about your play here. You had a big hand and got a lot of action from one opponent, late in the tourney at that. Who knows, maybe there's something we could argue, but I think you played fine.

As for checking the river, I have no problem with it. Survival is key in tourneys, and you weren't going to be that much better off by getting one last bet, but you'd be much worse off if you got eliminated. The safe play on the river was the right play as far as I'm concerned.

al