PDA

View Full Version : Botched hand with 77

Student Caine
09-19-2005, 03:21 AM
So I completely screwed this one up. What should I have done differently here?

Party Poker 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(9 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP3 calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB.

EDIT:

Forgot the reads again. Villain does not seem to be overly aggressive. I have only seen about two orbits with him.

Pharity
09-19-2005, 03:34 AM
I think it depends on the villain. If he is passive, a fold is good, if he tries to bluff much you should definitely call down getting 1:3 in effective odds. If he really had an ace, a good player would probably not bet out.

Student Caine
09-19-2005, 01:18 PM
I won't disagree that once I am at the turn I need to call down. That Ace scared me on this one as I figured that if he had the K he would have checked the turn looking for a check-raise, but when the Ace fell he bet out. Of course, if I had been thinking clearly I would have thought about the fact that betting out with the Ace is a pretty standard play here.

What about the flop? There was some debate in another thread about raising a flop with top pair (in this case an overpair) when the board is paired. I advocated it, because it has worked for me at the lower limits, but some of the more experienced posters here told me I was incorrect. Should I just be calling the flop here?

09-19-2005, 03:45 PM
raising the flop is a good play. and folding the turn is not a mistake.

this guys is betting into you, after you raised the flop. i think it shows a lot of strength, and with no read, you have to believe him.

hobbsmann
09-19-2005, 03:53 PM
I really like how you played this hand. The flop raise is good because you want to clear out overcards to your 7s and there is a good chance you are ahead of villians 6s. If checked to you on the turn you will have a pretty easy bet/fold.

W. Deranged
09-24-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really like how you played this hand. The flop raise is good because you want to clear out overcards to your 7s and there is a good chance you are ahead of villians 6s. If checked to you on the turn you will have a pretty easy bet/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I'm raising this pre-flop most of the time for control and such, but I agree with the line post-flop.

TheHammer24
09-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I'm raising preflop. I don't mind your line postflop though.