PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with big pairs

incognito
05-06-2003, 10:05 PM
I seem to lose an awful lot of money when my big pocket pairs don't hit. Or do hit, but not for long. I'm sure this is a significant leak, so I thought I'd post a couple of examples and see what other people think.

Both hands below are online $1/$2

Hand 1:
I'm dealt K /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif K /forums/images/icons/heart.gif in middle position. First three fold, I raise, guy to my left and the button call two cold, small blind calls, big blind folds.

The flop comes 5 /forums/images/icons/club.gif T /forums/images/icons/spade.gif A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . Small blind checks, I bet out and lose the button. The other two call.

The turn comes 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . Small blind checks, I bet out, guy to my left folds, small blind raises. Now what?

Hand 2:
I'm dealt Q /forums/images/icons/heart.gif Q /forums/images/icons/spade.gif in middle position. First two fold, next two limp, I raise, the big blind and the two limpers call.

The flop comes J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . Big blind and first early limper check, second limper bets, I raise, BB and first guy fold, second limper reraises, I cap. I don't think this is a mistake.

The turn comes A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif . The other guy checks. Now what?

haakee
05-07-2003, 05:42 AM
Hand 1: I muck to the check-raise on the turn. He's probably got A7 or Ax /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . Most players will be ahead of you when they check-raise you like this on the turn and you're drawing nearly dead.

Hand 2: Your flop play is correct. I like checking behind the turn, he's probably ahead of you. And I'd definitely call a river bet.

Bob T.
05-07-2003, 05:53 AM
1) I think you can fold hand 1. Unless the player is really tricky, then I think you might have a call. The problem with this hand, is not only did an ace flop, but an ace flopped when you had cold callers. This presents two problems. First big aces, are among likely cold calling hands, and second, pairs are also in their. If you are getting action after the flop, you can expect either an Ace, or a set is out there, and either way, you are drawing to two outs.

2) Bet, he could have been playing as little as top pair that aggressively. Even if you are behind right now, you have a lot of potential outs with the Queen of hearts. The turn card might be real scary to him, either because it is an Ace, or because it is a heart, and just might make him lay down two little pair.

Jeffro
05-07-2003, 09:51 AM
Hand 1: Against a rational opponent I think you can lay this down, I can say I lose 90% of the time when I call these turn check raises, and call the river bet.

Hand 2: I think I take my free card here.

Nottom
05-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Hand 1: I'd probably suck it up and fold to the check-raise. Unless this player is tricky, he probably has at least AT here and you are drawing to 2 outs. I know how hard it can be to let go of cowboys, but sometimes you need to know when to let them go.

Hand 2: Bet and call if raised that card is a scary for him as for you, even if he has the ace you have the 2nd nut flush draw to fall back on.

marbles
05-07-2003, 10:41 AM
Hand 1: Fold.
Hand 2: Check. If you didn't hold the Qh, then you would want to bet.

MD_
05-07-2003, 12:52 PM
I really think it would be a mistake to bet the turn in hand two. There are really only 3 cards that worry you: the club, diamond, and spade kings. Worse hands drawing to few outs will usually fold correctly, while a hand with enough outs (holding Kh) will call correctly. No better hands will fold (Two small pair will not fold, no way, no how). By checking you may induce a worse hand to bluff the river when he would not have called a bet. That Ah on the turn looks juicy, and I admit I would be very likely to bet it myself it the heat of battle, but I know I would regret it later.

-MD

Homer
05-07-2003, 01:24 PM
Guy: Homer? Who is Homer? My name is Guy Incognito.

Homer: Oh my God! This man is my exact double. Oh my God! That dog has a puffy tail! Here, Puff! Here, Puff!

-- Homer