PDA

View Full Version : General thoughts on AA/KK

cs3
09-19-2005, 01:57 AM
After several months of reading the forums and playing ~5k hands at Party NL 25, ive come to the following conclusion regarding AA/KK

I generally dont want to see a showdown unless
(1) all the money goes in preflop or
(2) all the money goes in on the flop.

i'm NOT saying that i never go to showdown with these hands when all the money doesnt go in, but it just seems like those are the times i'm getting destacked or losing a big pot. most of my winnings come by pushing preflop/flop or when opponents fold to a flop/turn bet.

am i on the right track here?
and feel free to shoot these ideas full of holes.

Malachii
09-19-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd much rather be value betting my AA the whole way against some suckers top pair then to have to get it all in on the flop.

amoeba
09-19-2005, 02:14 AM
you are correct.

think of it this way. the more streets you play, the better the average hand gets. 1 pair by the river is just not as good as 1 pair on the flop or even better preflop.

cs3
09-19-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd much rather be value betting my AA the whole way against some suckers top pair then to have to get it all in on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, i shouldve clarified. i wont just open push without regard to the pot. i was thinking instead about the times where preflop betting/potsize makes the flop push a normal (~pot sized) bet.

cs3
09-19-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you are correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you think this line of thinking holds true as you move up in limits from the 25? are single pairs any more or less valuable considering the more agrressive play at higher limits?

amoeba
09-19-2005, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you are correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you think this line of thinking holds true as you move up in limits from the 25? are single pairs any more or less valuable considering the more agrressive play at higher limits?

[/ QUOTE ]

the lower the limit, the less thought people give to things like kicker, possible overpair, therefore your AA/KK are probably more valueble at lower limits.

at higher limits, your big single pair hands might still be good the same amount of time but the difference is instead of finding yourself against a lower pair or same pair with lower kicker, you will more often find yourself against either bluff or set/2pair.

cs3
09-19-2005, 04:08 AM
aahhh, makes sense. thanks for the insight