PDA

View Full Version : help me

BobboFitos
09-19-2005, 12:51 AM
im hungry, i live on my own, and i dont know how to cook very well.

i bought myself salmon fillet two days ago and it's in my fridge. what should i make? (it's almost 1am) i have pasta, too, which i know how to make.

thanks.

09-19-2005, 12:56 AM
do you own a blender?

BobboFitos
09-19-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
do you own a blender?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think so... yes, just saw it.
there it is!

jason_t
09-19-2005, 12:59 AM
Here's something simple you can do with salmon filet:

Butter both sides.
Lemon both sides.
Salt (or garlic salt) both sides.
Pepper both sides.
Paprika both sides.
Finely chop some parsely and put it on both sides.

Place the filet on tin foil and broil it for ~6 minutes. Flip the filet and broil for another ~6 minutes.

Bon appetit.

The butter and lemon are essential. You can season it as you like, but I like the above combination.

BobboFitos
09-19-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's something simple you can do with salmon filet:

Butter both sides.
Lemon both sides.
Salt both sides.
Pepper both sides.
Paprika both sides.
Finely chop some parsely and put it on both sides.

Place the filet on tin foil and broil it for ~6 minutes. Flip the filet and broil for another ~6 minutes.

Bon appetit.

The butter and lemon are essential. You can season it as you like, but I like the above combination.

[/ QUOTE ]

jason, you are the fing man, this is exactly what i needed. thanks alot. time to cook(will post trip report)

jason_t
09-19-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

jason, you are the fing man, this is exactly what i needed. thanks alot. time to cook(will post trip report)

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope it turns out well.

Sponger15SB
09-19-2005, 01:02 AM
I don't know how to cook. I tried cooking up some fish on the grill once. It sucked.

I suggest buying something else next time.

M2d
09-19-2005, 01:08 AM
you have a grill? take a wood plank. nail the salmon to the plank using thin finishing brads. season salmon to taste. place the board directly into the fire.

cook for ten minutes. remove salmon from the board. toss the salmon into the trash. eat the plank.

I f'ing hate salmon.

JaBlue
09-19-2005, 01:08 AM
Salt dries meat out. Adding it after the meat has cooked is generally a good idea. Along the same lines, when you buy spices, get "garlic powder" not "garlic salt" or "garlic salt powder"

jason_t
09-19-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Salt dries meat out. Adding it after the meat has cooked is generally a good idea. Along the same lines, when you buy spices, get "garlic powder" not "garlic salt" or "garlic salt powder"

[/ QUOTE ]

The lemon and butter more than compensate for this here.

smokingrobot
09-19-2005, 01:10 AM
damn, very nice recipe. i will try that some time.

and after that i'll get some white pizza with brocolli on it. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

smokingrobot
09-19-2005, 01:12 AM
salmon marinated in jack daniels, a little surgar, some chopped garlic and onions, then grilled is also another good recipe.

you could even leave out the sugar garlic and onions if you want.

TheWorstPlayer
09-19-2005, 01:13 AM
My personal favorite for fish, which never fails to please: salad dressing. Simply take some salad dressing, whatever you have, and pour it over the top. Then broil. Tastes really good. My favorite is Italian, but it works with my different types of dressing. Can't get easier than that.

BobboFitos
09-19-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, quick update, i dont have tin foil.

yes, i suck, i dont shop enough, any ideas ?

edfurlong
09-19-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats just not correct. It may pull an insignificant amount of moisture to the surface but the end result is way better.

edfurlong
09-19-2005, 01:22 AM
Just put it in the oven at 350ish for ten minutes. Put butter on top before putting it in the oven and lemon juice when you pull it.

JaBlue
09-19-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats just not correct. It may pull an insignificant amount of moisture to the surface but the end result is way better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was adding this for Bobbo's general knowledge about cooking. You're right that for this fish it won't hurt to salt it first. If he were to cook a beef steak, though, he could easily ruin it by salting it before cooking.

edfurlong
09-19-2005, 01:26 AM
No, not at all.

JaBlue
09-19-2005, 01:29 AM
Are you sure? Is this a common misconception?

I learned how to cook from my dad who learned to cook from his best friend who was chief chef at some fancy hotel. when I was ~10, so I am repeating what he told me and could easily be wrong. Sorry Bobbo.

edfurlong
09-19-2005, 01:33 AM
Its a very common misconception. Sorry to be a penis about it.

Salting it beforehand results in a much greater depth of flavor, especialy for steaks. The amount of moisture pulled out is insignificant if any.

I hear it so much, even from people that work in the restaurant industry that it gets my hackles up. In the great scheme of things though, it doesn't matter that much one way or another.

PoBoy321
09-19-2005, 01:37 AM
I was once told that fish is actually incredibly easy to cook, even though many believe that it's very hard.

A 6 oz. serving cooks in 6 minutes at 350. There. Make some rice and string beans to go along with it and you're golden.

edfurlong
09-19-2005, 01:38 AM
I'm pretty sure he is passed out on the floor of his kitchen from low blood sugar by now.

JaBlue
09-19-2005, 01:39 AM
Thanks for clearing that up. I'll try adding salt to my customary garlic and black pepper rub next time I'm in the mood for steak.

BobboFitos
09-19-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure he is passed out on the floor of his kitchen from low blood sugar by now.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Im eating now - fish is actually very good (plus im starving) thank jason

quick summary..

had no lemons, so i used limes (seems fine) -> lots of limes laying around here cause of coronas

I cut up tomates and an avacado, put some balsamic dressing and basil on top, made the pasta i had, and bam, theres my dinner

didnt know if beer went with fish, so i settled on apple juice.

hopefully this doesnt kill me before i goto bed

oh, no tin foil worked out ok, that pan will need alot of cleaning, but hey!!! i have a dishwasher.

thanks guys, i should post here more often.

jason_t
09-19-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

quick summary..

had no lemons, so i used limes (seems fine) -> lots of limes laying around here cause of coronas

I cut up tomates and an avacado, put some balsamic dressing and basil on top, made the pasta i had, and bam, theres my dinner

oh, no tin foil worked out ok, that pan will need alot of cleaning, but hey!!! i have a dishwasher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a great dinner. Beer would have gone well with it, especially a pale ale.

edfurlong
09-19-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

quick summary..

[/ QUOTE ]

Well crap, now I'm hungry.

asofel
09-19-2005, 01:47 AM
f'in hilarious

Gary Stevenson
09-19-2005, 01:50 AM
next time go to McDonalds

ZZzzZZzz

CardSharpCook
09-19-2005, 01:50 AM
you salt at different times to achieve different results. The longer meat is salted, the more even the distribution throughout. There is a school of cooking that says that meat should be salted 3 times; a few hours before cooking, just before cooking, and just after cooking.

A few hours before: allows salt to penetrate the meat.
Just before: brings moisture to the surface to decrease sticking
Just after: the finishing touch to get the seasoning just right.

Me, I just salt it right before cooking.

Clarkmeister
09-19-2005, 01:53 AM
OOT comes through again!

citanul
09-19-2005, 02:30 AM
you should (soon) learn to sear a fish. it's incredibly easy, and useful/practical.

method goes like this:

-do whatever to your fish (season, oil, whatever)
-put pan on stove
-turn stove on pretty high
-wait for pan to heat up some
-put some olive oil in a pan, not enough to fry something with, just some for lubrication basically
-when oil is hot, make sure it's spread out around the pan, and put fish (Skin side down) in pan
-cook until fish is cooked just over 1/2 of the way through, up to 2/3 of the way though
-flip fish
-cook on other side until fish is done.

for a salmon filet, this is about 4 minutes, then flip, 3 minutes.

salmon is also a terrific fish to learn how to do this with because it distinctly changes color as it cooks, so you can see when the fish is cooked 1/2 way through, 2/3 way through, etc.

searing is very easy because there's no pan work involved, it's just "put thing in pan, wait, flip, serve."

you can then learn to move from there to pan frying a fish very easilly, as basically you can either bread the fish or not, and put more oil in hte pan than when searing, and do the same process. when you use flour, you can mix in stuff into the flour to make the breading taste however you want.

anyway, searing is simple, quick, and requires very little in the ways of extra ingredients, even kitchen staples, cleanup, and other stuff too.

sorry i'm late.

citanul

ddubois
09-19-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No [censored]. I lost interest somewhere around:
Butter both sides.
Lemon bo

citanul
09-19-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Butter both sides.
Lemon bo

[/ QUOTE ]

sigh. i know that huge instruction list jason put down with 3 whole steps was pretty long and tiresome, but somehow some people manage to make their way through such things.

it's like "unscrew toothpaste cap, squeeze tube of paste so that some gets on brush, brush teeth, rinse." crazilly difficult, but somehow we all manage to not get bored of it 1/2 way through.

citanul

jason_t
09-19-2005, 02:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Butter both sides.
Lemon bo

[/ QUOTE ]

sigh. i know that huge instruction list jason put down with 3 whole steps was pretty long and tiresome, but somehow some people manage to make their way through such things.

it's like "unscrew toothpaste cap, squeeze tube of paste so that some gets on brush, brush teeth, rinse." crazilly difficult, but somehow we all manage to not get bored of it 1/2 way through.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only that, but the salmon tastes a lot better than the McDonalds food.

citanul
09-19-2005, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not only that, but the salmon tastes a lot better than the McDonalds food.

[/ QUOTE ]

and you're a lot less likely to die from a steady diet of salmon than mcdonalds.

citanul

edtost
09-19-2005, 07:34 AM
one of my favorite dishes: penne vodka with pieces of salmon mixed in. mmmmdelicious.

dcasper70
09-19-2005, 08:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, quick update, i dont have tin foil.

yes, i suck, i dont shop enough, any ideas ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Got an empty beer can and a pair of scissors?

TheTROLL
09-19-2005, 08:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Butter both sides.
Lemon bo

[/ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only that, but the toothpaste tastes a lot better than the McDonalds food.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP