PDA

View Full Version : Theory about online site with regard to cashouts

09-19-2005, 12:34 AM
I played at absolute poker a few months ago and I did pretty well at first, winning 243 dollars the first time I cashed out playing 10 dollar sit n go's mostly. After i cashed out i tryed again to build my bankroll up the same way and it seemed that i was always caught in bad situations, QQ vs KK all the time, took horrible beats, QQ losing to Q3 off and the guy getting four flush cards. I also seemed to see the quality of my starting hands go down. i read on the internet somewhere that absolute poker is run by crooks who totally screw you every time you try to cash out, that the same thing happened ti him. I saw something similar to this at pokerstars. Is this a reasonable concern/theory or am I just buying into a myth.

09-19-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i read on the internet somewhere...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
or am I just buying into a myth.

[/ QUOTE ]

octaveshift
09-19-2005, 12:36 AM
Moderator(s) notified. In a moment you will be automatically returned to the forum.

bones
09-19-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The moderator has already been notified about this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm running bad lately.

lastchance
09-19-2005, 12:37 AM
It's called variance.

Trust us, it happens. What's most annoying is when internet sites don't give you back your money when you ask for it and try to send you mail and other stuff to make sure that their money stays where it is.

EnderFFX
09-19-2005, 12:38 AM
If a site ever got caught doing this it would be out of business so fast. You need to remember that online sites are raking in millions by legitimately running a business. Why would they jeopardize this?

benfranklin
09-19-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i read on the internet somewhere that absolute poker is run by crooks who totally screw you every time you try to cash out, that the same thing happened ti him. I saw something similar to this at pokerstars. Is this a reasonable concern/theory or am I just buying into a myth.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absolutely true. But in spite of this, many of us idiots continue to play at these sites, and even win money. Go figure.

axeshigh
09-19-2005, 12:53 AM
What is important to know is that these sites have you on 'win switch' when you join, but put you back on 'never win' when you cashout. To counter this, you should win as much as possible before cashing out, and then switch immediately to another site. That's what everyone 'I' know does anyway.

09-19-2005, 12:56 AM
i can honestly see this happening...everytime i cashout i begin to lose, and i never thought about it till i had stopped online for awhile and read into it, so no one can say it was psychological.

lorinda
09-19-2005, 12:57 AM
emptyseat20:

Bad beat posts remaining: 0/1
Stupid posts remaining: 0/1
Conspiracy posts remaining: 0/1
Illogical posts remaining: 0/1
Posts remaining where search engine would have helped: 0/1
n00b posts remaining: 0/1

I haven't seen anyone burn through the whole quota like this since the great "Did you really beat Elvis in an $11 SNG" thread of '78

Lori

09-19-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i can honestly see this happening...everytime i cashout i begin to lose, and i never thought about it till i had stopped online for awhile and read into it, so no one can say it was psychological.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you know. Come play bodog.

applejuicekid
09-19-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i can honestly see this happening

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Honestly? If you ran a site would you do this? Would any reasonable business operate this way? Doesn't seem like a good way of retaining customers.

[ QUOTE ]
everytime i cashout i begin to lose

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and cashing out is the only explanation for this.

[ QUOTE ]
so no one can say it was psychological.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO ONE!

C'mon dude, blaming your losses on a cashout curse will not help you become a winning player. Work on your game and stop finding excuses for losing.

john_
09-19-2005, 01:20 AM
Haven't we all hit this phase in our online poker playing at one point or another? Sure, if you've won a ton of money for a year each month on a site you're tending to believe its variance that brings about downswings and not some weird conspiracy theory. But take the average person who has just read a couple poker books, thinks they are an expert on everything & posts very good numbers accross a span of 300 or so tournaments. Now, any decent player who has played for years knows that's nothing and even a 25%+ ROI player can post even or maybe even a loss with variance.

But to a newbie who thinks they are better than they are because of the extremely good fortune they have had to begin with they don't think this is possible. Pretend you're a newbie and look at the compelling evidence you have for this:

-People at a forum may lie about their results. Honestly, who wants to admit they are a losing player?
-Taking it a step further these online poker sites have the resources to potentially have players fabricate stories on forums....haha yeah sort of hard to believe...
-I play very good, I win...I couldn't possibly lose over this many SNGs and I just cashed out and I've heard many theories about this before so that must be what this is.
-If the online sites swayed the odds slightly toward players who bought in and against those who cashed out it would be beneficial to them because a) nobody would be able to tell within a reasonable doubt they were being cheated(variance is a bitch) b) it would keep the losing players playing for longer which definitely benefits the site.

Now if you've only been playing a short time and somehow managed to win, you weren't very statistically included & you don't really personally know anybody who has posting long term winnings then I think you would tend to believe the conspiracy theory.

My Analysis: This is actually good for the long term winning players. Many players that are capable of winning are unable to understand or accept variance therefore they stop playing altogether.

09-19-2005, 01:26 AM
sorry, i was just interested in what people thought about what i have read. yes i am new to the site and i didn't mean to upset any oldtimers. gimme a break, if you dont want to read any posts by me, then don't read any posts by me. simple as that. sorry i invaded your "forums" with my "stupid" posts or questions, but to me their legit and i wanted to know what people thought. wow, you got me lorinda, your such a smart lady. i envy your posting ability. you really know how to put a guy down, hope you feel better about yourself. i think life will go on though, next time just simply look over my posts and read about another bad beat story, which i never have posted or would even consider posting.

lorinda
09-19-2005, 01:37 AM
go to the archive server and search: +cashout +curse for the last three years in the internet gambling forum.

There is plenty of info (as well as more sarcasm) on the topic there

Lori

lacky
09-19-2005, 01:37 AM
have I mentioned I love you Lori, in a boring, asexual sort of way, but it's heart felt. If we could get a mcpherzen post here too it would make up for the 2 outer in the wcoop.

Steve

lorinda
09-19-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
know. Come play bodog.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't get to any other sites so I'm stuck there today myself. I think I've had an argument in every single set of SNGs I've played.

Lori

Shilly
09-19-2005, 01:47 AM
All I can say is...DOOM SWITCH!

bawcerelli
09-19-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I played at absolute poker a few months ago and I did pretty well at first, winning 243 dollars the first time I cashed out playing 10 dollar sit n go's mostly. After i cashed out i tryed again to build my bankroll up the same way and it seemed that i was always caught in bad situations, QQ vs KK all the time, took horrible beats, QQ losing to Q3 off and the guy getting four flush cards. I also seemed to see the quality of my starting hands go down. i read on the internet somewhere that absolute poker is run by crooks who totally screw you every time you try to cash out, that the same thing happened ti him. I saw something similar to this at pokerstars. Is this a reasonable concern/theory or am I just buying into a myth.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm concerned you bought crack with that $243

09-19-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
know. Come play bodog.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't get to any other sites so I'm stuck there today myself. I think I've had an argument in every single set of SNGs I've played.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really not like bodog? They have a structure like stars and players like PP 5+1s at all stakes. Also, their player pool is small, so notes are much more effective + 100% rakeback.

I'm gonna shut up now. Go play party.

09-19-2005, 02:07 AM
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

As Such (www.datanation.com/fallacies/posthoc.htm)

lorinda
09-19-2005, 02:11 AM
I play there occasionally but I don't quite get the bonus and bw.com is one of the sites i currently cannot get to.

I was under the impression that I worked off like 5pts or 3pts per $1 registration, however I put in $250 earlier, got my $50 bonus and it works off $11 for every $11 tourney I enter.

I have no problem with doing my requirement and am not looking to dodge it, I'm just curious to find out what the deal is here /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lori

microbet
09-19-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
have I mentioned I love you Lori, in a boring, asexual sort of way, but it's heart felt. If we could get a mcpherzen post here too it would make up for the 2 outer in the wcoop.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

bad beat posts remaing 0/1

jk

Michael C.
09-19-2005, 03:00 AM
The easiest solution would be to get together with 9 friends who just cashed out, and all play at the same table. Since all of you will have been programed to lose, but the tournament needs a winner, the software running the site will immediately freeze, and the site will go out of business.

Hendricks433
09-19-2005, 03:18 AM
Dude this Happened to me I was so confused and we all imediatly got kicked off the site our money taken. I thought they were gonna zap our brains and clear our memorys. I HATE the cash out curse.

runner4life7
09-19-2005, 03:20 AM
My response will be short and simple

You sir, are a moron. If you believed this, even for a moment, you will never be a great online player, and I truly believe this.

09-19-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play there occasionally but I don't quite get the bonus and bw.com is one of the sites i currently cannot get to.

I was under the impression that I worked off like 5pts or 3pts per $1 registration, however I put in $250 earlier, got my $50 bonus and it works off $11 for every $11 tourney I enter.

I have no problem with doing my requirement and am not looking to dodge it, I'm just curious to find out what the deal is here /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty simple as I understand it. The points are just a dummy variable. They have an unlimited 20% bonus (which is going to switch to 10% soon), and in order to clear it you have to earn 6 points per $. You also earn 6 points per $ of entry fee paid. Thus, you get 100% rakeback (for tournies; cash games are more complicated and much less favorable).

Enjoy /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Stay off of my turf. /images/graemlins/mad.gif