PDA

View Full Version : at the risk of seeming dumb.....

09-18-2005, 09:38 PM
I can already hear the posts that will follow, something like: "you dumbass, of course you should have _____!!" But I'm a bit on the fence with this one:

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

My only question is, do I string these two along till the turn and then raise them a big bet? I'm worried that I'm always pulling the trigger postflop when the bets are small and I have opponents who are willing to draw to a second-best hand. However if I'm wrong please let me know.

Catt
09-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Nioe hand. I want to be able to play T9 like this, too, so I generally play KK the same way.

numeri
09-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Do you mean smooth-calling the flop and then raising the turn? If so, that's a pretty bad idea. You played this perfectly.

The main problem with smooth-calling the flop us you may just get checked to on the turn and only get one turn bet in anyway. You also give anyone drawing a relatively cheap look at the turn.

09-18-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm of the opinion that like 99% of the time, let's go ahead and get the bets in while we can. By not raising the flop we are losing 1BB, in hopes of getting in two more BB on the turn. And I'm just not sure if that's going to happen often enough. You don't know for sure if BB is going to lead the turn, we don't know if UTG is calling to call his bet or not, and the board might pair or something and you might puss out on raising the turn.

Eeegah
09-18-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My only question is, do I string these two along till the turn and then raise them a big bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Even if they were facing two bets cold I'd raise here. I'd love to be able to fold out Ax, and I'd like to know if BB really thinks he's got a hand. Additionally, raising preflop, checking the flop and raising the turn looks suspicious, and also gives them worse odds to call your turn bet. Not to mention the gobbing amounts of value in our raise.

09-18-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The main problem with smooth-calling the flop us you may just get checked to on the turn and only get one turn bet in anyway. You also give anyone drawing a relatively cheap look at the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best advice yet. I'm assuming that my opponents will follow suit next betting round, but that is probably too much of an assumption, or some wishful thinking. I also think that by the turn, even bad players know when their ship is sunk and will often pull back on the reigns, but on the flop, hope springs eternal! Thus they'll hold onto the dream while paying through the teeth for it.

ALSO, I have to think that these players are much more willing to take aggression up the pooper if they've already put one bet in front of them. Wow, I'm answering my own question, what an a**hole! Thanks for the quick response my brothers.

09-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Eeegah you rock, the response was right on, but change your picture, it's disgusting.

09-19-2005, 06:07 AM
First of all, don't give in to the crowd (aka almost the entire microlimit customer base of Party Poker) who plays every AA and KK like it's a briefcase of diamonds they're trying to sneak across the Russian border. They lose bets doing that.

The really cool thing about a loose table is all the calling they do - you don't get many chances to reraise, but all that cold-calling and check-calling actually obscures your hand a great deal. For all they know, you've got AJ offsuit.

[ QUOTE ]
Eeegah you rock, the response was right on, but change your picture, it's disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you saying you don't recognize Richard "Jaws" Kiel, who entertained us so much in not only "The Spy Who Loved Me" and "Moonraker," but also the original "The Longest Yard" ("I broke his f*%$in' neck!"), a classic Twilight Zone episode, and as the titular star of the movie from which Eeegah has taken his nick?

For shame.

Nilbud
09-19-2005, 06:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, don't give in to the crowd (aka almost the entire microlimit customer base of Party Poker) who plays every AA and KK like it's a briefcase of diamonds they're trying to sneak across the Russian border. They lose bets doing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true, so true. I chuckle to myself every time I see someone win a 3BB pot because they refuse to bet the flop or turn with AA or KK...even a set sometimes. It's even more funny when they let someone draw to a straight or flush.