PDA

View Full Version : Network question

Buccaneer
09-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Is there anyway to transfer network and router settings to other computers on the network with a file?

I seem to have my wireless network all screwed up.

Edit: I need to use the settings on a Win2000 Pro machine and transfer them to two XPhome machines.

09-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Yes if you run the Home Networking Wizard, or the Network Setup Wizard, (diff names in diff versions of windows.) You can get to this by going into the control panel > network connections. Selecting the 'File' menu in the top left hand corner and you should see the wizard available there.

After you complete the wizard making the apropriate configuration choices it will ask you if you want to finish, or you would like to make a CONFIGURATION DISK to take to other computers. You can then use a floppy to propogate these settings.

If you do this though, you run the risk of messing up the settings on the working box. Re-running the Wizard on your problem XP machines without running it on your working 2k box can achieve pretty much the same results with less risk.

If you need to specify manual TCP/IP settings, (router, subnet, DNS servers and a different IP address in the same subnet) you'll just need to transfer them with a good ole pencil and paper.

Good Luck.