PDA

View Full Version : Downswings are boring... (LC)

britspin
09-18-2005, 06:42 PM
One of the things that I dislike about downswings is how dull they are. Seem to be few interesting hands or decisions, just missed flops, obvious folds or normal suck-outs. Boring and no fun. Any advice on how to keep focus during the tedium of the slow steady decline?

afk
09-18-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any advice on how to keep focus during the tedium of the slow steady decline?

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep trying to find where you're making mistakes?

Aaron W.
09-18-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of the things that I dislike about downswings is how dull they are. Seem to be few interesting hands or decisions, just missed flops, obvious folds or normal suck-outs. Boring and no fun. Any advice on how to keep focus during the tedium of the slow steady decline?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you believe you're playing nearly flawless poker when you hit a downswing? Chances are, you're making the same types of mistakes that you make when you're doing well.

09-18-2005, 06:47 PM
Been there for 2 weeks now.
My 4th downswing in 2 months. Getting really @£$! tiresome.

Full houses getting busted by a better one, nut flushes losing to boats. Tons of players cold calling 3 bets with A 3 and hit their 2 pair when I sit with my AK or KK.

Yeah flame me, I'm whining.

I know I have lots to learn but damn, how long am I going to lose to these people.

britspin
09-18-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting point. I don't try and analyse my game during a session- I find it distracting from being "in the moment" and I am not focussing on my current hand. Instead I try and review afterwards- though obviously I do get distracted from the game, and have huge improvements I can make- I'm just not sure that trying to make them in game is the right way to go....

afk
09-18-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting point. I don't try and analyse my game during a session- I find it distracting from being "in the moment" and I am not focussing on my current hand. Instead I try and review afterwards- though obviously I do get distracted from the game, and have huge improvements I can make- I'm just not sure that trying to make them in game is the right way to go....

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok well that's what I mean. Just don't drop your guard because you think you're losing solely because of bad cards. Downswings are usually caused by bad cards, and perpetuated by poor play. If you keep it together and are able to analyze your play (either during or after a session) you stand a better chance of getting back on your feet quicker. And when I say review during a session it can be as simple as "crap I should have raised the river" - then review the hand in more detail later.

britspin
09-18-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Downswings are usually caused by bad cards, and perpetuated by poor play.... And when I say review during a session it can be as simple as "crap I should have raised the river" - then review the hand in more detail later.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks that's a good point- the perpetuated by bad play.. esp- i can also markup hands I'm not sure about for review. Appreciate it.

Weatherhead03
09-18-2005, 07:03 PM
4 downswings in 2 months is not good..maybe they arent just downswings, but in fact bad play as well.

RatFink
09-18-2005, 07:03 PM
What I do when it's that "time of the month" is that if I planned on playing let's say 4 hours I cut it down to 3 and take the extra hour and put it into hand review. Even if I can't convince myself I'm looking for my mistakes, I will look for insight into other players decisions to arrive at what I felt was a suckout. Sometimes it's not a suckout at all, and just a reasonably played draw. Oh, and I usually find a mistake or two while I'm at it!

britspin
09-18-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
4 downswings in 2 months is not good..maybe they arent just downswings, but in fact bad play as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess it depend's on how you define downswing.. I'm pretty small beer, so I mean losses of over 50 BB over a couple of sessions- which I think could happen fairly regularly.. people who suffer 650 BB downswings over a 2/3 week period.. well that just scares me!