View Full Version : $215 - Playing my first right now. Anyone want to sweat me?

octaveshift
09-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Party# 12777

/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Oh, and I am not good enough to play at this level, but I like to mix it up sometimes. Heh.

DEAAAAAAAAAAAD MONEYYYYYYY.

unreal_nh
09-18-2005, 05:33 PM
whats ur sn? gl

Ogre
09-18-2005, 05:35 PM
i hope you lose just because you had to post about it.

USCSigma1097
09-18-2005, 05:35 PM
I played my first 100 the other day and came in second...I find that if you luckbox every hand, you MIGHT be ok.

Just remember, you are the worst player at the table.

Sigma

octaveshift
09-18-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Having a bad day?

This forum is the closest thing I have to a friend who enjoys poker. Instead of being a dick, maybe you could wish me good luck?

Edit: Point being that I have several friends on the forum, and if any of them wanted to play in a higher-stakes game, I'd be happy to sweat them.

octaveshift
09-18-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
whats ur sn? gl

[/ QUOTE ]

xyro

USCSigma1097
09-18-2005, 05:42 PM
Damn kid...ran into a monster

Sorry

Sigma

octaveshift
09-18-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Damn kid...ran into a monster

Sorry

Sigma

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah. At least I got it in with a made hand. He was drawing, but had about a trillion outs with the flush draw and 2 overs.

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

wookie
09-18-2005, 05:46 PM
I think I fold J9 that early in the tourney. Sorry you busted out so early though... - w

USCSigma1097
09-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Don't rub it in...He knows what he did wrong

octaveshift
09-18-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I fold J9 that early in the tourney. Sorry you busted out so early though... - w

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I came to play. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I can't imagine sitting around and waiting for premium hands will get you very far in a $215.

He limped UTG, so I didn't put him on anything strong. The reraise should have given me pause, but I didn't want to look like "scared" money, so I called.

The flop is scary, and he checks. I have TP, and figure this is as good time to jam, because unless he's got the goods, he's going away.

Unfortunately, he had 2 overcards, and the nut flush draw.

And FWIW- he's pissed all of my chips away already.

USCSigma1097
09-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Octave,

I don't mind raising on the button with J high when nobody has shown strength...

However, calling his limp reraise I think is a big leak. At that level I would imagine that a limp reraiser has QQ+ or AK 80 percent of the time, with KK and AA being the most likely.

Calling those reraises will cost you more money in the long run than "tarnishing" your table image IMO.

Fire up another one and get to work
Sigma

octaveshift
09-18-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Octave,

I don't mind raising on the button with J high when nobody has shown strength...

However, calling his limp reraise I think is a big leak. At that level I would imagine that a limp reraiser has QQ+ or AK 80 percent of the time, with KK and AA being the most likely.

Calling those reraises will cost you more money in the long run than "tarnishing" your table image IMO.

Fire up another one and get to work
Sigma

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, but I knew I was behind when I called. (I would never make a call like this in a 109, but I think my conception of the 215s is that it's an assload of aggression, and what you are repping, vs. what you actually have.)

I was concerned that I would look weak if I folded there, and as it was my first 215, I didn't want to play scared. He very well could have been popping me back with the thought that my raise was positional. I also figured that I probably stood a good chance of working him if I hit, because he really isn't putting me on J9d.

In the end, in an effort to look utterly fearless and get tricky, I look like a total donk. Hah.

Imagine how awesome it would have been if it had worked.

USCSigma1097
09-18-2005, 06:40 PM
It did work,

But your opponent luckboxed a 19 outer...What a lucksack

Sigma

octaveshift
09-18-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It did work,

But your opponent luckboxed a 19 outer...What a lucksack

Sigma

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG RIGGED!11

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

09-18-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder why people have to say crap like this. Can't you just wish the guy luck, or better yet not say anything at all? Unfortunately it seems to come up way too often on here.

wookie
09-18-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I came to play. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I can't imagine sitting around and waiting for premium hands will get you very far in a $215.

He limped UTG, so I didn't put him on anything strong. The reraise should have given me pause, but I didn't want to look like "scared" money, so I called.

The flop is scary, and he checks. I have TP, and figure this is as good time to jam, because unless he's got the goods, he's going away.

Unfortunately, he had 2 overcards, and the nut flush draw.

And FWIW- he's pissed all of my chips away already.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand - I've never played the 215s either... but in a 109 I usually toss the J9 preflop at level 2. If I raise, I raise something more like 120 or so to whack the early limper - but if he fires back he usually means it. This is one of those "don't raise if a re-raise will make you throw up" situations - J9 is easy to dump if re-raised.

At level 2, you are not any where near being trouble yet. At this point I am looking for opportunities I can control, and of course premium hands /images/graemlins/smile.gif

good luck in your next one! - w

skipperbob
09-18-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It will get you as far as it would in any other game.

Sorry I didn't see your post early enough to sweat you.

G/L in the next one....PM me if I'm online

octaveshift
09-18-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It will get you as far as it would in any other game.

Sorry I didn't see your post early enough to sweat you.

G/L in the next one....PM me if I'm online

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Skip.

Reflecting on it now, it was totally nerves. (I had the same thing happen when I played my first 109.)

Utterly lame.

skipperbob
09-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Good Call...Glad to see the honest reaction...you know you shouldn't have lost $0.10 on that hand

octaveshift
09-18-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good Call...Glad to see the honest reaction...you know you shouldn't have lost $0.10 on that hand

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to see the notes that the table put on me.

Heh.

45suited
09-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Don't go into any SNG with the attitude that you are dead money. Don't play any form of poker thinking that you're dead money.

Not to get all Stuart Smalley on you, but as long as you play solid poker, you stand a chance against any opposition if the deck hits you hard enough and the cards fall your way.

I will never play an SNG at any level with the attitude that I don't have as good a chance as anybody else in the game. Even if that's being overly optimistic, I'm not going to give my opposition the added advantage of me not playing my game with confidence.

octaveshift
09-18-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't go into any SNG with the attitude that you are dead money. Don't play any form of poker thinking that you're dead money.

Not to get all Stuart Smalley on you, but as long as you play solid poker, you stand a chance against any opposition if the deck hits you hard enough and the cards fall your way.

I will never play an SNG at any level with the attitude that I don't have as good a chance as anybody else in the game. Even if that's being overly optimistic, I'm not going to give my opposition the added advantage of me not playing my game with confidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Solid advice, thank you.

I have found that most of my most costly leaks are purely psychological. I always seem to think along weird lines such as: "I know I should fold this, but this guy is just leaning on me because I folded to his minraise on the last hand. We'll see how he likes my gutsy reraise." And other nonsense like that.

I am currently at 41%ITM in the 55s, with a 19% ROI, so I am not a total donk. I know how to play straight value poker, but my god-damned-overanalyzing-brain gets in the way sometimes.

The same thing happened when I jumped to the 22s from the 10s. It's the exact same game, but your opponents make less mistakes.

Why, all of the sudden believe I can call an UTG limp reraise with J9d on the button is beyond me.

My motivations for playing are a lot different than most on the forum. It will take me a little while to get acclimated to the higher altitude, but eventually, I will be be as comfortable as a sherpa.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Michael C.
09-18-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for that really intellegent and insightful post. Would I rather see a guy asking his friends here to wish him luck, or some dick say "I hope you lose because I'm too cool to read that kind of post." Hmm, that's a tough one.

octaveshift
09-18-2005, 08:50 PM
In a strange bit of coincidece, I am watching a WPT event with Chip Reese and Randy Jensen, where jensen limps PF with 93o, and Reese wakes up with 88 in the BB.

Reese raises to 80k, and Jensen calls.

The flop is Q44, Reese checks, and Jensen checks behind.

Then Mike Sextongoes into this mini-tirade saying that if you want to call a raise with junk PF, you *have* to bet the flop, no matter what comes, if you want to win the pot.

Not saying that the way I played it was even remotely correct. I am just throwing it out there because it seems timely.

Newt_Buggs
09-18-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Just remember, you are the worst player at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]
I highly doubt that this was true. Even at the $215s you find plenty of fish donking around.

Too bad it didn't work out for you, better luck next time.

Newt_Buggs
09-18-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even at the $215s you find plenty of fish donking around.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is from a $215:

Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: veque0voianh (925)
Seat 2: magicpig777 (1000)
Seat 3: beeffrank21 (1000)
Seat 4: ta_taday_jr (1000)
Seat 5: xbigdadx (985)
Seat 6: Hero (1000)
Seat 7: happydude22 (905)
Seat 8: stucco101 (910)
Seat 9: acorn9187 (960)
Seat 10: astud23 (1315)
astud23 posts small blind (10)
veque0voianh posts big blind (15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 4c, 5d ]
magicpig777 folds.
beeffrank21 folds.
ta_taday_jr folds.
xbigdadx folds.
Hero folds.
happydude22 raises (45) to 45
stucco101 raises (200) to 200
acorn9187 folds.
astud23 folds.
veque0voianh folds.
happydude22 raises (860) to 905
happydude22 is all-In.
stucco101 calls (705)
Creating Main Pot with $1835 with happydude22
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 7h, Qd, 8h ]
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 9c ]
** Dealing River ** : [ 4h ]
** Summary **
Main Pot: 1835 |
Board: [ 7h Qd 8h 9c 4h ]
veque0voianh balance 910, lost 15 (folded)
magicpig777 balance 1000, didn't bet (folded)
beeffrank21 balance 1000, didn't bet (folded)
ta_taday_jr balance 1000, didn't bet (folded)
xbigdadx balance 985, didn't bet (folded)
Hero balance 1000, didn't bet (folded)
happydude22 balance 1835, bet 905, collected 1835, net +930 [ 9h Th ] [ a flush, ten high -- Th,9h,8h,7h,4h ]
stucco101 balance 5, lost 905 [ Qc Tc ] [ a pair of queens -- Qc,Qd,Tc,9c,8h ]
acorn9187 balance 960, didn't bet (folded)
astud23 balance 1305, lost 10 (folded)

by far the worst thing that I have ever seen in a $215, but it still gives me faith in the future of online poker.

applejuicekid
09-19-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In a strange bit of coincidece, I am watching a WPT event with Chip Reese and Randy Jensen, where jensen limps PF with 93o, and Reese wakes up with 88 in the BB.

Reese raises to 80k, and Jensen calls.

The flop is Q44, Reese checks, and Jensen checks behind.

Then Mike Sextongoes into this mini-tirade saying that if you want to call a raise with junk PF, you *have* to bet the flop, no matter what comes, if you want to win the pot.

Not saying that the way I played it was even remotely correct. I am just throwing it out there because it seems timely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember Randy made a post about this hand. He reasoned that he he limped in trying to steal the pot later, but his plans changed when he read that Chip Reese was strong. I'll try to find his post and put up a link.

applejuicekid
09-19-2005, 12:10 AM
bah...sorry I can't find the post