PDA

View Full Version : 5-10... am I playing this right?

gunbuster
05-06-2003, 11:46 AM
Playing 5-10 Hold'em online. I get KhJd on the button.
Everyone folds around. CO and CO+1 limp for $5. I raise to $10. SB calls, BB folds, and both limpers call.

Flop: 2d 3d Qc
It's checked around to me, so I bet $5. CO+1 folds, CO calls. I put the limper on a draw, or possibly small pocket pair.

Turn: [2d 3d Qc] Jc
CO bets $10. Not sure where to put him right now. Maybe he picked up a flush draw, or maybe he's trying to shut me out with his draw, or maybe he had something like QJ and I'm dead. One way to find out -- I raise $20. CO calls.

River: [2d 3d Qc Jc] 3c
Crud, I didn't want to see a third suit.
CO bets, and I make a crying call.

gunbuster
05-06-2003, 11:47 AM
CO turns over Ac 2c for nut flush.

And my horrible day at the tables continues...

JTG51
05-06-2003, 01:27 PM
I know all of us 2+2ers (me included) are river calling stations, but It's OK to fold second pair on a paired flush board after you've raised twice and then get bet into for a second time.

You've shown as much strength as you can here and your opponent still likes his hand enough to bet the river. It's hard to believe he can't beat second pair.

Bob T.
05-06-2003, 01:43 PM
I think you had a lot of tough decisions on this hand. I predict you don't get many responses, because nothing you did was clearcut.

With this hand, preflop, I might have called, or I might have raised, depending on the limpers.

On the flop, you have one overcard, no draws, but noone else took any action, and they could all be checking to the raiser. It can't be wrong to bet here, and see what happens. Why is this one guy calling, there aren't any reasonable draws out there? He probably doesn't have two overcards because he didn't raise preflop. Does he always call a flop bet?

Turn, I like you raise here, I think your opponent might have a Jack, and you likely have the best one, or he might have clubs, and you are still ahead.

River, I think you can fold to this bet, you have shown nothing but strength all hand, and he bets out. I bet that you thought that you were behind, but just wanted to see which way you lost.

marbles
05-06-2003, 01:54 PM
I think it's close, but a fold is probably correct here. Your action looks like AQ or better (all hands you're showing down), and he still wants to bet into you. The pot is roughly 10+ big bets, so you need to be roughly 90% sure you're beat. I think this qualifies. Save the crying calls for hands like AQ, QJ, etc in this situation.

On the other hand, if a fold will mess with your head for weeks (like my river fold that Clarkmeister later dubbed "suicidal" a few weeks back), then maybe you should just call for sanity's sake.