PDA

View Full Version : Some Omaha Hi/LO questions.

ackid
09-18-2005, 02:18 PM
I played Omaha hi/lo for the first time last night on Party and really enjoyed the game. I mostly play limit hold em and found it to be a nice change of pace.

I I'm intrested in learning more about the game.

Can you guys suggest any good books on Omaha HI/LO?

Also are the games Omaha 8 and Ohama HI/LO the same thing?

Thanks.

lighterjobs
09-18-2005, 03:00 PM
how to win at omaha high low poker by cappaletti is the first book i read. the chapter in sstwo is good from what i hear.

i am ordering ray zee's book today but that's not a good book for beginners, i'm sure.

omaha hi/lo and omaha eight are the same game.

FeliciaLee
09-18-2005, 04:01 PM
Welcome /images/graemlins/smile.gif

1) Read the FAQ. I'm not even close to being finished with it yet, but there are a few tips for you.

2) Omaha 8 and Omaha h/l are almost always the same thing. Don't, however, automatically assume they are. I have played in a no-qualifier h/l game, and even though I asked the brush before I sat down, and he said it was "eight or better," it wasn't! Always be your own advocate, don't just assume.

Good luck!

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DPCondit
09-18-2005, 05:30 PM
I would hardly recommend Cappelletti for beginners, there's too many fancy plays like promo raises and the like. Cappelletti will have an inexperienced player get Fancy Play Syndrome.

Krieger/Tenner is ok for beginners, although I think the recommendation for any 4 cards 10 or higher (if I recall correctly) is a bit loose. SS2 is good, McEvoy/Cloutier is good, especially for tournaments, and yes, you should read Ray Zee and Steve Badger's website.

Don

sy_or_bust
09-18-2005, 05:45 PM
The 2+2 book by Ray Zee is fine for beginners. Super System 2 is OK also, as are a slew of others I'm sure. The basics of O/8 aren't especially tricky.

09-18-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I would hardly recommend Cappelletti for beginners, there's too many fancy plays like promo raises and the like. Cappelletti will have an inexperienced player get Fancy Play Syndrome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Capelletti's book was the first I read and I thought it was great. Yes, you need to be careful of FPS, but that's true of any technique. For the most part, Cappelleti recommends a straight-forward strategy of pushing-pulling based on the circumstances, and that's basically O8. The depth of analysis was very refreshing as too many books are a yawn aimed at new players to a particular game, as if you never played poker at all before. I think Cappelleti's book was more insightful than Zee's "for advanced players" (what was so advanced about it, I have no idea) text.

One note: reading about advanced plays is great, not just because you might want to use them, but you can recognize when others are trying to use them. I think that's why books which skip those kinds of plays do a disservice to the reader.

FWIW.

DPCondit
09-18-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Capelletti's book was the first I read and I thought it was great. Yes, you need to be careful of FPS, but that's true of any technique. For the most part, Cappelleti recommends a straight-forward strategy of pushing-pulling based on the circumstances, and that's basically O8. The depth of analysis was very refreshing as too many books are a yawn aimed at new players to a particular game, as if you never played poker at all before. I think Cappelleti's book was more insightful than Zee's "for advanced players" (what was so advanced about it, I have no idea) text.

One note: reading about advanced plays is great, not just because you might want to use them, but you can recognize when others are trying to use them. I think that's why books which skip those kinds of plays do a disservice to the reader.

FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad it worked out for you, but I would think the average beginner would tend to get themselves in trouble. Maybe you already had an understanding of the game before you read it.

Don

09-18-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad it worked out for you, but I would think the average beginner would tend to get themselves in trouble. Maybe you already had an understanding of the game before you read it.

Don

[/ QUOTE ]

I did.

dcasper70
09-19-2005, 08:33 AM
The Tenner & Kreiger book is good too.

And I'm surprised Ribbo hasn't chimed in with his favorite:
O8Poker (http://www.o8poker.com)

/images/graemlins/grin.gif