PDA

View Full Version : Strategy 4 playing guy on Serious Tilt (NL $400 situation last night)

09-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Last night, a guy at my table was tilting badly... He was raising to $35-45 nearly every hand at a $4 BB...

It was essentially a random hand... I played tight and raised him all-in with JJ and he called with 99...

I check-raised him all-in with KQ on Q high flop and he called with 2nd pair and donked off more...

With a guy like this -- what is your typical re-raising hand? I was card dead for much of this so my VP dropped to 10% with all his $40 raises... I was mucking A7 offsuits...

How low will you go on someone like this? re-raising all-in vs callingn and trying to hit a flop?

captZEEbo1
09-18-2005, 03:13 PM
was he calling most reraises preflop? Was this 6max? If this is full table, you really have to be careful about people behind you, because they'll be aware of what you're doing too. If he opened from the button, there wouldn't be much shame in pushing like A9o etc. If he's calling most the allins you have to raise your standards a bit, but if he fodlsa lot, you can push hands like JTs that MIGHT be dominated but probably have fold equity. Trying to see flops is really bad IMO. Keep in mind that if you repush too many times, he will lower his calling standards too.

09-18-2005, 03:58 PM
not that many were challenging him... one guy pushed all-in with KQ and donk called with KJ and then sucked out on him... then another guy pushed with JJ and donk turned over QQ and won that.... but mostly, if someone called him pre-flop -- he would overbet the flop and then shut-down if he had nothing.. generally, I think the idea was win blinds & continuation bet one time when challenged and then shut-down if he had nothing and play it out if he had something... he lost -$1300 in about 80 hands... but only $400 to me as he cracked my queens with his 63 offsuit 2-pair on river (ace hit flop and it was a multiway pot).

I was thinking at the time of HEPFAP... and planned to re-raise all-in with AJ/99+... but I was card dead for the most part... calling $40 with stuff like QJ wasn't part of my playbook... although he kept showing his cards when nobody challenged him (T6o, 24o, 93o, K3o etc...)... I had good position on him (2 behind him in 6-max game) and if you hit flop, you were essentially getting 2.5-1 each flop since he would bet so much with nothing on the flop.

09-18-2005, 04:18 PM
btw, I didn't feel like there was much fold equity but it was hard to tell as he wasn't getting challenged much on all-ins and when he was, he usually had something halfway decent (KJ etc...) and he called...

he did lay down after flop if you challenged his flop bet but at that point, you had to put over 1/2 your stack in to risk it...

as it stood, he got fleeced as the only significant pots he won were the ones he sucked out on... but its tough to play something like A7-A9o vs an aggro...

Garland
09-18-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With a guy like this -- what is your typical re-raising hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

This answer greatly depends on position as if you are in a spot where there are 4 or more players to act behind you, you can't discount the possibility that someone will wake up with a big hand. And since your reraising will easily be read for isolation, don't count on others to fold marginal premium hands.

Garland