PDA

View Full Version : Online Hostility

Roy Munson
09-18-2005, 12:29 PM
I have been playing poker online for 5 years and it seems to me that the current level of hostility in the chat boxes is at an all time high. Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoy watching people steam and they must be steaming to take the extra effort to type their emotions for the table to see.

Has anyone else noticed a similar increase in player anger or am I just imagining this?

Mayhap
09-18-2005, 01:03 PM
I haven't noticed markedly more hostility as of late.
I've been playing about 1.5 years.
I do like to get away from those tables.
In the midst of water only a fool is thirsty.

DCWGaming
09-18-2005, 07:21 PM
I used to be one hostile bastard

12 tables of berating at a time.

Recently I stopped.

Berating is at an all time low.

chadplusplus
09-18-2005, 11:57 PM
I've noticed it too.

My true worry is about psychokinetic goo from all this hostility flowing over the internet. Who you gonna call?

chesspain
09-19-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone else noticed a similar increase in player anger or am I just imagining this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lower average age of online players = higher levels of expressed aggression.

09-19-2005, 01:33 AM
Not that it's right, but you have to expect some hostility when you say something that is perceived as hostile. For example, who are you to decided how neccessary a poster is or isn't? Your life and standards are not the standards for all. What one man (and I use the term loosely) deems as obsolete, another decides that thing, thought, or experience is good or useful for his or her own personal growth. Don't like hostility?? Don't be hostile. Have a nice day. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

09-19-2005, 06:08 AM
It's all about accountability. People in big cities are more rude because they are relatively anonymous. If I am rude to you in a big city, it is very likely I won't encounter you again, whereas if I was rude in a small town people know me and there might be repurcussions. Anonymity brings out the worst in people.

vexvelour
09-19-2005, 12:15 PM
Some people are just destined to be stupid. Click ignore or close the chatbox.

That being said, I think there are a group of idiots out there that think if they type mean things into the chat, they'll put someone on tilt. I've seen it happen to other people at a table, but for the most part it's wasted energy when you SHOULD be paying attention to the game. So, just let them do it cause if someone bites back at him, he's not paying attention and you can feel free to step in and take his money.

donkeyradish
09-19-2005, 01:01 PM
The chatters aren't concentrating 100% on their game... so let them argue while the rest of us take their $

theweatherman
09-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Why cant the chatters be able to play their best and type hostile remarks into the chat box? To assume that they are playing sub-optimally just because they are chatting is a poor assuption.

In addition some people could play better when they are angry, maybe it kicks up their aggression to an optimal level. Just like the hulk, dont get em angry or you'll be the one to pay.

vexvelour
09-19-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To assume that they are playing sub-optimally just because they are chatting is a poor assuption.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but more often than not I'll watch some dumbass typing in the chatbox and soon after get taken out. I made my comment based on my own experience.