PDA

View Full Version : Jets/Dolphins over/under... the best play of this week

09-18-2005, 09:59 AM
I absolutely love the under in this game. 37 is way too high as this game will easily go under 30. This is as good a bet as you'll find on this week's card.

Miami's defense is very good and very well-coached.... they have arguably the best defensive end in the game in Jason Taylor, plus other bigtime playmakers like Zach Thomas, Vonnie Holiday, Kevin Carter, Sam Madison, and Junior Seau. They can stop the run and they'll be pressuring Chad all game... if he does get rid of the ball they have capable guys like Tebucky Jones and Sam Madison in the secondary. I don't see the Jets' offense turning it around this week... not against this caliber of defense.

On the other side, you should see the Jet D step up in this game and rebound from last week.. Abraham is starting and they are facing a much weaker offense with Gus Frerotte playing behind a piss-poor offensive line and a rookie running back. Chris Chambers and Randy McMichael are solid professional players but hardly superstars... nothing this Jet D can't contain anyway.

This game will be very low-scoring. I expect the total to go under 30 points. Under 37 is a lay-up.

I don't normally play over/unders, but this is pretty close to a lock. Go strong on this bet.

I would look for something like a 13-10 or maybe 17-10 type of score in this game. 37 or higher is not going to happen.

09-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Like the pick, Trap...only thing I worry about is the Dolphins going to the passing game too quickly if Ronnie Brown et al can't muster anything against the Jets run D.

09-18-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Like the pick, Trap...only thing I worry about is the Dolphins going to the passing game too quickly if Ronnie Brown et al can't muster anything against the Jets run D.

[/ QUOTE ]

Solid point, but even then, can you see that passing offense being prolific on the road against an angry, hungry Jet D? The Jets were suspect against the pass last year, but now Coleman has a year under his belt and Ty Law bolsters the group.

The Jets need a win in this game and, in order to get that, their defense is going to have to turn in an A+ performance given the state of affairs in their putrid offense.

I just can't get scared about Gus Frerotte on the road behind that offensive line.

09-18-2005, 10:24 AM
It's not that I see the Dolphins passing game succeeding per se but that they'll throw too many incompletions, stopping the clock too often and allowing the Jets more time and chances to score. Watch early in the game to see if Brown and co. are running the ball well. If they do, the under looks excellent.

09-18-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not that I see the Dolphins passing game succeeding per se but that they'll throw too many incompletions, stopping the clock too often and allowing the Jets more time and chances to score. Watch early in the game to see if Brown and co. are running the ball well. If they do, the under looks excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally understand your point, but again, I'm just not frighetened of either offense in this game against the defenses they're facing. Chad looked awful last week and I can't see him correcting his problems in 1 week. Also, the Jets couldn't run the ball well at all, as it appears the loss of Mackenzie at tackle has affected them bigtime.

Obviously nothing is etched in stone, but I think it's a really strong play.

09-18-2005, 10:42 AM
Also, same side field turnovers have killed many a good under in games with good D's. Just another thing to consider, but I like the pick.

FishNChips
09-18-2005, 11:45 AM
I don't disagree.... but isn't the Bears/Lions under 33 a better play? worse offenses, better defense (chicago)? I really like this pick. Again, I like your under as well, just asking for your opinion on the bears/lions.

thanks,
fishnchips

09-18-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't disagree.... but isn't the Bears/Lions under 33 a better play? worse offenses, better defense (chicago)? I really like this pick. Again, I like your under as well, just asking for your opinion on the bears/lions.

thanks,
fishnchips

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad idea, but I see Detroit as an offense that could bust out this year. Even though I'll concede that Joey Harrington isn't very good, when you have that many big play guys on offense, your offense can still be very good with a mediocre QB. Think about the Rams of 5 years ago- sick offense, but now that we see Kurt Warner on other teams, it's clear that he wasn't the reason for it.

Kevin Jones, Roy Williams, and Charles Rogers create tons of problems for opposing defenses even with an average or mediocre QB.

Also, Detroit doesn't have much of a defense.

I think the Jets' bet is a higher probability bet.

tolbiny
09-18-2005, 11:53 AM
"Think about the Rams of 5 years ago- sick offense, but now that we see Kurt Warner on other teams, it's clear that he wasn't the reason for it."

I would disagree- Kurt clearly got the crap beaten out of him and isn't the same AB any more- Bulger hasn't been able to turn that team back into an unstoppable force even though the key elements- O line, holt, faulk, have remained on that team. I think Warner was a key ingrediant in that being a fantastic offense, instead of just an above average one.

09-18-2005, 12:03 PM
I agree, the Lions are a lot like the Redskins if you ask me, young QB, young stud RB, and the defenses will play good at Chicago. I like this pick a lot more than the Miami Jets game.