PDA

View Full Version : "She" and "Womyn"

Iplayboard
09-18-2005, 06:15 AM
My English prof always uses the word she instead of he in her lectures and writings. For some reason this bothers the hell out of me. Not in some philosophical sense, but I just can't help but be annoyed when she does it.

The thing I really can't stand at all is when feminists use the expression "womyn". It's not a fuckeing word.

rmarotti
09-18-2005, 07:56 AM
neither is "fuckeing"

The Armchair
09-18-2005, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My English prof always uses the word she instead of he in her lectures and writings. For some reason this bothers the hell out of me. Not in some philosophical sense, but I just can't help but be annoyed when she does it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason you don't like it is because it's a conscious decision, whereas saying "he" is, in almost all cases, reflexive. Whether or not she means to, she is on at least one level trying to make a point.

Because she is an English prof, this may not be inappropriate, as one could colorably argue that the question as to which pronoun to use is, indeed, one to be discussed in an English class.

The womyn thing bothers me to no end. A person who intentionally errs in using that word injects her (or, I guess, his, on occassion) political ideology into every sentence written, be it the appropriate forum for not. At least there is an argument of egalitarianism to be made in the use of she over he; that is clearly not the case when dealing with womyn.

EMcWilliams
09-18-2005, 12:08 PM
Also in the same boat.....I just find other ways to passive-aggressivly bash females and increase male superiority. For the record, the use of "he" is standard, its the "common gender pronoun", and the word Womyn makes me wanna punch a wall

touchfaith
09-18-2005, 12:14 PM
Here is my expert analysis...

Who gives a [censored]?

JihadOnTheRiver
09-18-2005, 12:44 PM
http://dogsnot.net/mt/archives/000340.html

yw. this be the greatest picture in all of the land.

HopeydaFish
09-18-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The thing I really can't stand at all is when feminists use the expression "womyn". It's not a fuckeing word.

[/ QUOTE ]

The good news is that once you're out of University, you may very well never see the word "womyn" again. It used to bother me when I was in school, too.

NLSoldier
09-18-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The good news is that once you're out of University, you may very well never see the word "womyn" again. It used to bother me when I was in school, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive never seen that word period. wtf is the signifigance?

09-18-2005, 05:49 PM
that was great

juanez
09-18-2005, 06:22 PM
This reminds me of when I was in college. I had a roommate who was dating the president of the "Womyns Alliance", which was some militant woman’s group who seemed to do nothing but biitch about men.

One day we were all hanging out drinking beers and she said to me "Look at you sitting there with your legs spread apart. Ya know, men sit that way because they want to take up as much space as possible to show that they are dominant."

I said, "No. I sit this way because I have a set of balls swinging between my legs and it's uncomfortable when they are mashed together. You don't have a set of balls do you?"

This same biitch also said that men make huge skyscrapers because they are phallic symbols that remind us of our penis, which we are obsessed with (of course we are obsessed with our units, but that's another thing). I asked here if we should construct buildings by digging huge caves and caverns to resemble vaginas instead. She was not amused.

scotty34
09-18-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen it before either. I would guess it is a feminist thing allowing them to detach themselves from men by not having to say woMEN. I basically wanted to punch something as well as soon as I saw that this word existed (provided my assessment is right)

BottlesOf
09-18-2005, 06:47 PM
the she thing i think has it's place, but "womyn" is absurd and while I don't think I've ever seen it used, I know I'll immediately hate anyone who uses it.

jason_t
09-18-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To remove the "man" and "men" from words that don't necessarily refer to men ("woman", "policeman", etc.) They also use the words "femal", "wimmin" and "womban".

NLSoldier
09-18-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To remove the "man" and "men" from words that don't necessarily refer to men ("woman", "policeman", etc.) They also use the words "femal", "wimmin" and "womban".

[/ QUOTE ]

holy shyt

Eurotrash
09-18-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"womban".

[/ QUOTE ]

lol this is so ridiculous. these bitches are crazy

TheCroShow
09-18-2005, 07:23 PM
stupid lesbians with hairy armpits...

HopeydaFish
09-18-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen it before either. I would guess it is a feminist thing allowing them to detach themselves from men by not having to say woMEN. I basically wanted to punch something as well as soon as I saw that this word existed (provided my assessment is right)

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The Feminist Club's office at my University was called "The Womyn's Centre".

They were totally nuts. One of their yearly stunts was to go around the University with coloured chalk and write stuff like "Rapists walk down these halls" and "Rapists drink here" (at the campus bar). On top of that, whenever anyone was appointed to a student council position, they had to go through "sensitivity training", a portion of which was a video created by the womyn's centre that featured A) A brother raping his sister, B) a father molesting his daughter, and C) Date rape. They had a real positive view towards men.

They also rented the campus bar for their monthy meetings, but stipulated that no male employees would be permitted to work during their meeting. They raised a big stink one month when they spotted a male selling hotdogs to passerby outside on the bar's patio. The proceeds of his sales were going towards a charity of some sort. The womyn called campus security to have him removed.

Voltron87
09-18-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The Feminist Club's office at my University was called "The Womyn's Centre".

They were totally nuts. One of their yearly stunts was to go around the University with coloured chalk and write stuff like "Rapists walk down these halls" and "Rapists drink here" (at the campus bar). On top of that, whenever anyone was appointed to a student council position, they had to go through "sensitivity training", a portion of which was a video created by the womyn's centre that featured A) A brother raping his sister, B) a father molesting his daughter, and C) Date rape. They had a real positive view towards men.

They also rented the campus bar for their monthy meetings, but stipulated that no male employees would be permitted to work during their meeting. They raised a big stink one month when they spotted a male selling hotdogs to passerby outside on the bar's patio. The proceeds of his sales were going towards a charity of some sort. The womyn called campus security to have him removed.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you think theyll say "woman" or "womyn" when theyre duct taped in the trunk of my car?

sam h
09-18-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My English prof always uses the word she instead of he in her lectures and writings. For some reason this bothers the hell out of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would bother me more if I was raised in a society that always referred to the opposite gender when using impersonal pronouns.

But I do agree with you about "womyn." If you think that's bad, though, wait until you meet someone who busts out "herstory" instead of "history" on you.

Phoenix1010
09-18-2005, 08:30 PM
I've never met someone who used the word womyn, although I have encountered the she thing. Could someone explain why these things bother you so much? The Armchair had a pretty decent reason which I understand, but not necessarily agree with. No one else has really explained why they want to punch a wall. Anything?

scotty34
09-18-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never met someone who used the word womyn, although I have encountered the she thing. Could someone explain why these things bother you so much? The Armchair had a pretty decent reason which I understand, but not necessarily agree with. No one else has really explained why they want to punch a wall. Anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

For a lot same reason that everyone flips out over "mah"

It's not a real word. Also in this scenario, it's feminists being absolutely ridiculous. I don't mind the "she" thing, or saying police "officer" or even policewoman. However, when they make up words such as womyn or wimmin just because they don't want the letters m-e-n included, that is just infuriating.

Moneyline
09-18-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it's feminists being absolutely ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the certain feminists who use this are being ridiculous... but not nearly as ridiculous as someone who would feel the need to hit something or someone because some other person used the word. Those who are angered by this are remarkably insecure.

sam h
09-18-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The reason you don't like it is because it's a conscious decision, whereas saying "he" is, in almost all cases, reflexive. Whether or not she means to, she is on at least one level trying to make a point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but it's clear that what bothers the OP is not just that she is trying to make a point, but that she is trying to make a point with a particular substantive content.

spamuell
09-18-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This same biitch also said that men make huge skyscrapers because they are phallic symbols that remind us of our penis, which we are obsessed with (of course we are obsessed with our units, but that's another thing). I asked here if we should construct buildings by digging huge caves and caverns to resemble vaginas instead. She was not amused.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is awesome.

I don't care if people use womyn. If they feel they need to, it doesn't bother me. I do hate when all men are tarred with the same brush though.

touchfaith
09-18-2005, 09:20 PM
I /images/graemlins/heart.gif my skyscraper

Sephus
09-18-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the certain feminists who use this are being ridiculous... but not nearly as ridiculous as someone who would feel the need to hit something or someone because some other person used the word. Those who are angered by this are remarkably insecure.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

scotty34
09-18-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point, and of course we (well at least I) am exaggerating when I say I want to hit something. It's just more of a pet peeve. Provided it did make me want to hit something however, why does this indicate I'm insecure? Insecure about what? I'm all for equal rights, but womyn just crosses the line into absolute stupidity.

nails
09-19-2005, 03:18 AM
Here are the lyrics to a song from the mid-80s (from an album called "Myn Ynd Wymyn").

Woman With A "Y" (Womyn)

Jesus was a woman
Jesus must have been a woman
Only women really suffer
Only women know such pain
Helen Reddy was a goddess
Even though she was Australian
She acted like a goddess
When she started her campaign

Adam was an [censored]
Adam must have been an [censored]
'Cause he couldn't satisfy
The only woman in the place
Eve was certainly devoted
As he plundered and persisted
Never thought if she resisted
She could save the women's face
And as Adam demonstrated
As he blindly penetrated
Eve would simply had to take it lying down
She just couldn't see the trappings
That the men had under wrappings
Still they blamed her
And they ran her out of town

Get the man out of the woman
Get the man out of mankind
Take the man down from the mantle
Leave the manful talk behind
While the man are on maneuvers
Let the mantras fill the sky
Make the world a place for women
Women with a "y"

Mary was a martyr
Mary must have been a martyr
'Cause her God in all his wisdom
Wouldn't look her in the eye
So he took her and he left her
With some jackass in a stable
While he boasted of the conquest
To the other holy guys

So the man takes his position
With the woman in submission
'Cause the bible says
That's how they do it here
So the woman falls from favor
All because some horny savior
Showed that men could come just once
And disappear

Take the man out of the woman
Take the man from manicure
You can take the man from manger
You can leave him in manure
While the men are being manly
Leave the man-o-wars behind
Women with a "y"

Intercourse - We don't have to have no
Intercourse - An activity we can't endorse
We don't need to multiply
Intercourse - It's a law they simply can't enforce
We are more than just a hobby horse
We are women with a "y"

Take the man out of the woman
Send the man to Mandalay
While the men are trying to manage
Throw the manacles away
While the men are stuck on manhood
Find a man to crucify
Women with a "y"

Jack of Arcades
09-19-2005, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason it gets to me is because

a) it's extremely annoying
b) the person using it will likely exhibit other extremely annoying behavior
c) the person using it does not need to exist