PDA

View Full Version : Miss a bet, gain a bet, or just dumb poker?

Barry
05-06-2003, 10:10 AM
Here are a couple of hands that I played last night, where I wasn’t very happy with my play. It must have been the TV show that I was watching. Typical 5/10 PP that was moderate on both the tightness and aggressiveness scales. Flame away folks.

Hand 1

I open raise UTG+1 with J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif , only CO calls. This is the 1st time I’ve played with CO, but so far he seems loose, (likes to play any A or any suited cards) and is fairly aggressive.

Flop is J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/club.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif – I bet, CO raises, I call, intending to checkraise the turn. Many times I would 3 bet here, but with no draws on the board, I don’t see this as a raise for a free card.

Turn is K /forums/images/icons/club.gif – I check, as planned, of course CO checks too. Damn.

River is 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif – I Bet, he calls.

Hand 2

We are 9 handed here, I look down to see A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif in the CO. UTG+1 limps, UTG+1 is a pretty decent player, but he has shown down some strange hands before and has limped from EP with some weak hands, I raise, BB and UTG+1 call.

Flop is T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif –Lot’s of draws here. BB checks, UTG+1 bets, I raise, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn is 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif – Shoot, I have promised to not get too aggressive with big A’s that miss. We both check.

River is K /forums/images/icons/club.gif – UTG+1 checks, Hmm…, I bet (please fold your busted draw), he calls /forums/images/icons/frown.gif .

Barry
05-06-2003, 10:19 AM
Hand 1

Obviously my hand is good. CO had 2 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . I guess He wanted a cheap showdown and called hoping for AQ.

Hand 2

UTG+1 shows A2 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif for the busted nut flush draw and my A high, J kicker is good. I guess he wasn't going let me take the pot with my busted draw.

ZManODS
05-06-2003, 10:21 AM
Hand 1: I would probably 3-bet the flop, if he has A7 or something along those lines you will still get a lot of action. Either way i would like to bet out on the turn. River of course bet.

Hand 2: I don't believe i would raise the flop but its definately not a bad move. If i did raise the flop i would be sure to bet out on the turn and fold to a re-raise. River is fine.

Jeffage
05-06-2003, 06:30 PM
On hand one, I don't see the problem. You flopped the virtual nuts on a draw free board, bet and got raised. Of course you check the turn heads up...and if he bet, I may just call and lead the river if he is the kind to easily give up to a turn checkraise. Seems reasonable to me...I think you'd be more pissed if u 3-bet the flop and he folded. Also his raise is likely a bluff or a 7...unless he has the case Jack. If he's bluffing you don't want him out and if he has trips you will get action when u lead the riv.

On hand 2,the flop raise is ok if you think this opponent would lead into you with a weak holding or draw. If he would check-call a flush draw but bet a pair it may be close to a fold. It's pretty player dependant...raising is necessary if you're going to play to try to get it heads up. But if I raised, I am betting the turn most likely. This way if he is on hearts or a gutter you get him to pay to suck out on ur ace high and can bet if u hit a pair on the river. Checking the turn signifies ur on overcards and at that point I would check it down on the river. He won't fold a pair (many would check-call a preflop raiser with something like a pair of 8's here).

Jeff

sam h
05-06-2003, 11:34 PM
Hand #1

I think you played it fine. The turn card was bad for you, but by checking you almost guarantee yourself a river call from the case jack or a middle pair and set yourself up for a lot of action from a seven.

Hand #2

I would usually fold the flop here, since the pot is small and many of your outs could complete draws. If I raised, I would probably follow through on the turn.

I was about to write how no better hand will fold to a river bet while no worse hand will call, then I peeked at the results. The wishful thinking calling idiocy of some PPers notwithstanding, I think a check is probably better.

Barry
05-07-2003, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the replies folks.

In hand 1, maybe I did get as much out of this one that I could; I was just disappointed that I didn't get a turn bet from my opponent and at the time wished that I had bet it.

In hand 2, I think that I got myself confused. I raised the flop to see if he was on a draw; when he just called, I should have assumed the draw and bet out the turn; if he checkraised the turn, I can safely fold. My turn check completely ignored the reason for the flop raise. If I bet out the turn and river, most likely my opponent folds, however as I have said in the post, he’s called me on the river a bunch of times with strange things, expecting to pick off a bluff. So far, he hasn’t caught me.