PDA

View Full Version : Dorm room or apartment?

kurosh
09-18-2005, 04:39 AM
Both would be a single. I like living by myself.

Apartment-
+More room, nicer, more freedom.
-Possibly farther away from campus, worse socially, more responsibilities.

Dorm-
+Love the social life, people all around, close to class, easy access to food (bad hours though, pisses me off).
-Small room, shitty quality, no AC (small factor since it's nice weather 90% of the time), can't have certain things in my room and have to worry about being caught if I do certain things.

Jack of Arcades
09-18-2005, 04:40 AM
Apartment, but I'm pretty close to campus with mine. It's a shitty apartment but it's still approximately 900x better than a dorm.

unreal_nh
09-18-2005, 04:42 AM
dorms!!!

captZEEbo1
09-18-2005, 04:43 AM
I'd go with dorm...you have the rest of your life to be "independent" and live on your own (or with your wife or whatever), college life should be cherished =). Very few times in your life do you get to live in a dorm setting. Since you said you love the social life, I think dorm is an absolute must.

BreakEvenPlayer
09-18-2005, 04:44 AM
This should be a poll. Dorm is the answer. Can't trade social aspects of dorm, most notibly the 24/7 close proximity to freshman poon.

Jack of Arcades
09-18-2005, 04:46 AM
Maybe it's just that the dorms really blow here and that the apartments are so close to campus that I walk to class in under ten minutes that I think this is a clear apartment win.

BreakEvenPlayer
09-18-2005, 04:54 AM
True, each dorm situation should be evaluated separately.

For example I went to UCSB and the dorms were an incredible experience which I think you would be idiotic not to partake in. My sister went to SDSU and it was this old POS brick building on the far end of campus, she had to walk a LONG way to her classes and a couple miles to any cafeteria... so her situation pretty much blew.

wall_st
09-18-2005, 04:59 AM
For freshman year dorms are a necessity. Nothing is better than 1,000 drunk people gathered in one building on a friday, but then again I went to chico state.

kurosh
09-18-2005, 05:00 AM
It's not freshman year. It's for 2nd semester sophomore year.

Jack of Arcades
09-18-2005, 05:00 AM
From everything I've heard here the dorms are both shitty and overpopulated, many here have 3 to a room. It's crazy.

I got one of the last apartments available. It sucks but it's good for what I need it for, which isn't much, and the rent's pretty damned cheap.

brassnuts
09-18-2005, 05:03 AM
Dorm.

And, it's not even close. End. Of. Thread.

Whatever.

private joker
09-18-2005, 05:50 AM
Apartment! Grow up!

You can afford it. And it's nicer to bring girls back to. Come on, get with the program...

WackityWhiz
09-18-2005, 06:13 AM
Your life won't be complete if you go to college but don't stay in the dorms for at least a semester.

NLSoldier
09-18-2005, 12:59 PM
How nice are the dorms?

I feel like I sorta get the best of both worlds with an on campus apartment /images/graemlins/smile.gif Is that an option?

Bradyams
09-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Since you'll be living by yourself a dorm room is the best choice.

09-18-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Both would be a single.

[/ QUOTE ]
Given this, I'd say, dorm. I'm not sure if money is an issue for you, or how it works at your school, but wouldn't a dorm be much cheaper too? Another factor is will you have to deal with some D-bag R.A.? Or is your school chill about alcohol and whatnot?

Apts are a pain in the ass compared to dorms.

PITTM
09-18-2005, 01:42 PM
non-dorms rule. living single is a good idea. my current housemate is NOT the nuts.

rj

Michael Davis
09-18-2005, 01:47 PM
This is an easy one, and it all depends on your social skills. You seem to do okay with women, so I think you should get the apartment and bring chicks back there. If you're socially inept, being in the dorms will really help.

-Michael

Sponger15SB
09-18-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

True, each dorm situation should be evaluated separately.

For example I went to UCSB and the dorms were an incredible experience which I think you would be idiotic not to partake in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in Fountainbleu (3 bedroom suites with a living room at UCSB) and have 0 friends left over from the dorms. All my friends now are from people the dorms of people I went to high school with.

But yeah, choose dorms, just don't live in shitty apartment style housing. It is by far the better idea if you don't know anyone.

Sponger15SB
09-18-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like I sorta get the best of both worlds with an on campus apartment /images/graemlins/smile.gif Is that an option?

[/ QUOTE ]

ha, wish I would have looked at the replies before writing mine.

Klepton
09-18-2005, 01:58 PM
if it's 2nd semester soph year, i say stay in the dorms until the starting of your third year.

if you are not interested in meeting new people and poon, then get a nice apartment, and invite the hot ones over for 'movies'

peachy
09-18-2005, 02:14 PM
apt by far...u living in an apt shouldnt hurt u socially at ALL... our back door stayed open and neightbors would just walk in and out. It being a lil further from classes is not that big of a deal...but if ur EVER gonna bring girls home the apt is a must especially if no AC in the dorms

KDawgCometh
09-18-2005, 04:27 PM
I've lived off campus since my second semester of my soph year, and its been a blast. There is a pretty big Off campus scene at rutgers, so I don't know if that is the situation where you're at. You can get more [censored] up and not have to worry about any dorm rules. AC is a must, and its always better to bring a girl back to an apt then having to deal with a bunch of people in a dorm getting all up in your buisness.

If the apt you're looking at is more then a 20 min walk to your classes and there isn't a big off campus scene, then stay in the dorm