PDA

View Full Version : defending blinds

Guy McSucker
05-06-2003, 09:38 AM
I made a play yesterday that ended up in my being bad-beaten out of a tournament; but it's much earlier in the hand that I'm interested in.

It's a PLHE tournament, and I'm doing okay. I'm about 7th of 14 remaining players, from 80 starters. It's on pokerstars. I have around 10k, blinds are 200-400, average stack 8k or so.

For the last ten or 20 rounds, both my blinds have been raised, and I have let them go. I have had absolute rubbish, and have hit some hands out of the blinds, so I'm not suffering, but there is table talk about how easy it is to get my blinds. For a long while the guy to my left was sitting out which put a big "for sale" sign on my small blind.

Anyway, I am thinking I don't want my blinds robbed too readily as things get cagier. I am looking to defend.

I pick up KJo in the BB. UTG+1 raises 800, to a total of 1200. All fold round to me.

The raiser is new to the table and has me covered, so maybe he knows a bit how to play. Then again...

Question: is this a hand to defend with? If so, do you favour reraising, or calling and betting the flop if I hit or it comes nondescript?

There's 1800 in the pot and it's 800 to call. If I call and bet the pot on the flop, that still leaves me with enough chips to fold if I'm raised; or go all-in if I've hit it big time.

I am concerned that KJ is a dominated hand, so I might hit and be miles behind. That being the case, should I prefer to defend with 76 or the like? Maybe that's a better image play: if I hit, win and show, it will certainly look like my blind is not for sale.

I am confused here! Help!

Guy.

gunboat
05-06-2003, 12:08 PM
I would muck this hand every time to an EP raise, as this is not a steal raise. You are either a slight dog or a big dog. Even if you catch part of the flop, you still don't know where you stand.

To an LP raise I would raise back if the player consistently has been making steal raises.

/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif