PDA

View Full Version : A tough river bet/fold

JrJordan
09-18-2005, 01:35 AM
Villain is 36/15 smart and pretty solid LAG from the few limited hands I've seen. Haven't seen any pure river bluffs from him yet in about 8 orbits, nothing too out of the ordinary in general.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (7 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (9.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

I was real close to checking this river, but decided I'd get enough value from lower pairs if I could fold to a c/r. Then again, 12.5:1 is a real big number.

kahntrutahn
09-18-2005, 01:37 AM
I probably 3B the flop...

JrJordan
09-18-2005, 01:41 AM
It's an option, however many hands he's raising here I don't have a very high equity edge to three bet such as a pair+OESD. Since I'm sure he'll bet the turn regardless of what hits, I can call down if a scare card hits, or raise if a blank hits when my equoty is much better.

ggbman
09-18-2005, 01:41 AM
I don't like the way you played this. You need to 3 bet this flop, there are way too many scare cards that will make a turn raise incorrect, such as a Q, T, 7, etc..

I really don't see why we need to bet this river, we have second pair with a 4 straight on the board. Our hand is showdownable, but not likely to get called by very many worse hands. Check call the river.

ggbman
09-18-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's an option, however many hands he's raising here I don't have a very high equity edge to three bet such as a pair+OESD. Since I'm sure he'll bet the turn regardless of what hits, I can call down if a scare card hits, or raise if a blank hits when my equoty is much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. An equity edge is an equity edge, and like i was saying, there will be lots of turn cards where you still have the best but cannot raise. Additionally, since he is a thinking lag, his range is very wide here IMO, and it includes a very good number of hands that you are ahead of.

whodaman
09-18-2005, 01:58 AM
the reason your fold is so tough is because you shouldn't bet this river

ggbman
09-18-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the reason your fold is so tough is because you shouldn't bet this river

[/ QUOTE ]

You could give a more eloquent explanation like mine jackass. And it's past your bedtime /images/graemlins/smile.gif

dave44
09-18-2005, 01:24 PM
I would wait until the turn also on this board so I liked the way you played the flop and turn. I think a river check is best since your against a thinking LAG who probably won't be calling your bet with much garbage on this board and probably isn't incapable of a bluff raise given that your range of hands isn't exactly 10-heavy given how you played the hand.

RunDownHouse
09-18-2005, 02:44 PM
I actually really like your flop/turn line. I do not like the river bet, because I'm a big pussy on the river.

TomBrooks
09-18-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was real close to checking this river, but decided I'd get enough value from lower pairs if I could fold to a c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK.

I'd just call the turn though in case you were behind a set or two pair or chopping with AJ which SB was repping.