PDA

View Full Version : Middle set, fairly tough opponent, unwelcome turn.

imported_anacardo
09-17-2005, 10:48 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO ($20.85)
Hero ($46.65)
SB ($55.20)
BB ($141.52)
UTG ($48.50)
UTG+1 ($43.50)
MP1 ($53.60)
MP2 ($50.10)
MP3 ($50.35)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $2.50.

Flop: ($7.25) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, MP1 calls $5.

Turn: ($17.25) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks...

MP1 is tight-passive aggressive after a small (56) number of hands. He's been showing down winners. The hand before was also a headup raised pot; he picked off my continuation bet.

I imagine he could have any number of things in this spot. What's Hero's action and plan for the rest of the hand?

benwood
09-17-2005, 11:20 PM
This board is extremly scary to say the least. It's just the type that is most likely to be where hw's at, given the betting so far. Anything you do could go disastrously wrong.The only thing I wouldn't do is check. Hopefully, it looks as scary to him as it does to you. My decision would be how much to bet, &amp; I would be happy to take the pot right here. I believe I prefer to slightly underbet the pot, say around $12 rather than overbetting it. Besides keeping the pot small enough that you can get away for it if need be, it may look dangerous to him, because it's the of bet that you may make with a nut hand, trying to keep him in. I may be completely wrong in my thinking abouy this. This seems like a very tough situation to me. s EEMS LITHIS. KE A TOUGH SITUATION TO ME.

Malachii
09-17-2005, 11:42 PM
This is a good one Anacardo.

I'm torn between checking behind and calling a river bet and potting it/calling a push. I think I like potting it better, although checking behind might induce a lot of hands to bluff the river here. I think a limp/call with KQ preflop from a tight player is unlikely.

AllIn3High
09-17-2005, 11:47 PM
I'm betting a little less than $15 here and calling a raise.
There are 2 hands we're really worried about, a passively played JJ and KQ. Against the first there's really nothing you can do, against the second you still have a decent number of outs. But an aggressive opponent will check/raise a larger range of hands here than those - 44, JT, draw etc. are too likely to fold.

I really hate checking behind on a board this draw heavy, if we're ahead we don't want to give a free card as soo many cards could potentially be bad for us, and if we're ahead equally many cards will kill our action.

09-18-2005, 12:07 AM
I would just be amazed if this guy has jacks. limp/call is pretty unusual preflop for jacks. Similar thinking for KQ, but the $50 types do it sometimes.

Check/call on the flop doesn't give you a lot of information, but suggests maybe a fish chasing something, and, on this board, it could be about anything.

I think you are ahead, though, so maybe $12 on the turn. The river is going to be more difficult. Unless you fill up, you have got to worry if he leads out on the river. Too many variables here to say what if for all situations, but I would probably fold if he led a river heart or a river card added to the straight (8 or Q), but I would call any reasonable bet if it was a non-heart/non-straight, because I really feel like you are ahead as of the turn.

Good hand to post.

Malachii
09-18-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
limp/call is pretty unusual preflop for jacks.

[/ QUOTE ]
I limp/call very often with JJ in early position at a full ring table. How do you play them? And are you playing 6max or full ring?

Isura
09-18-2005, 10:24 AM
Interesting hand. I also like betting $12 on the turn. You're giving about 2.5:1 immediate odds, which is reasonable if you are not going to go broke with just a set on the river. I hate checking behind because so many river cards will either kill your action or force you to fold a possibly best hand.

Morrek
09-18-2005, 10:32 AM
This guy could have anything, you have to bet atleast 10$ imo, as you are most likely ahead. I would probably make it 12-13 and consider calling a raise. River totally depends on which card it is and what he does but I'm calling a reasonable bet unless its a 4-straight on the board or a last /images/graemlins/heart.gif comes, then I'm not sure how much I'd call.

imported_anacardo
09-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Now let's say we take a nancy-boy halfway sort of line.

Hero bets half pot. Villain check-raises all in. $30 to call, $55 pot. Action? Comments?

Bukem_
09-18-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now let's say we take a nancy-boy halfway sort of line.

Hero bets half pot. Villain check-raises all in. $30 to call, $55 pot. Action? Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't take nancy-boy halfway sort of lines for this exact reason.

09-18-2005, 07:47 PM
this is so obvious
2 hands beat you: jacks and kq
bet hard and call any re-raise
if you're beat you pay villian and re-buy and play again

PUSH PUSH PUSH

09-18-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
limp/call is pretty unusual preflop for jacks.

[/ QUOTE ]
I limp/call very often with JJ in early position at a full ring table. How do you play them? And are you playing 6max or full ring?

[/ QUOTE ]

Full ring. at $50, I almost always raise with jacks. sometimes limp/call, but it is unusual for me to do that.

I like raising to thin the field at $50.

Allinlife
09-18-2005, 08:49 PM
bet 14 and call a push...checking here misses value against worse hands and gives free card to draws. Y

our set could often be in dominating position against 2 pair, lower set while having a great redraw against turned straight incase you are behind.

ryanghall
09-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Bet pot. Try to get all in.

Next time, bet more on flop.

ryan