PDA

View Full Version : 4 handed in party sngs, how to play?

AlphaWice
09-17-2005, 08:37 PM
I just dropped 200 playing $11's.. most of the losses occurred at 4th place. What is correct strategy during 4 handed play?

09-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Basically, play good poker.

ICM (http://sharnett.bol.ucla.edu/ICM/ICM.html) also helps with bubble play.

newhizzle
09-17-2005, 08:46 PM
push any hand your going to play, be aware of the gap concept, it takes a much better hand to call a raise than it does to open the pot yourself

09-17-2005, 08:51 PM
push that ish!!

AlphaWice
09-17-2005, 08:57 PM
ya.. real helpful

i just went down another $50 cmon someone help me

play tight? play loose? how to play bigstack? what if two stacks are big (you and someone else)?

AlphaWice
09-17-2005, 08:58 PM
i think the prob is im pushing too much

for example, there was two stacks uber short, me and this guy tied in chips, i push with 99.. is this good play? (he was bb)

DyessMan89
09-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Bubble play is very complex. You cant summarize it in a nice and neat paragraph. And with the way you act, I could really give a rats ass about you anyways.

09-17-2005, 09:01 PM
If you're dropping that much, you need to stop.
Shooby

Seth Money
09-17-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're dropping that much, you need to stop.
Shooby

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, if your dropping that much at the 10's maybe you should try limit or NL holdem instead of SnG's. The 10's are laughable, my grandma could conquer them. (Not ripping on anyone playing them mind you) I respect those playing them and making there way up but each situation presents itself differently and each tourney is different if you have 5000 chips the blinds are 100/200 and you got two small stacks I'd be bullying. If your short stack I'd be targeting the other short stack and pushing on his big blinds.

Its all situational. Check out the FAQ, there should be a link about beatin the 10's.

Post any other questions dude I'm here.

Seth

AlphaWice
09-17-2005, 09:30 PM
ps. at other poker site i made $2000 from $11's , so im not sure that i suck at sng

================================
like, for example this hand

J7 in BB, two callers, i check

stacks: me 1500 in BB, some guy 600 in SB, rest are big.

flop J75 two clubs, checked by shorty, i push

is this good move??

AlphaWice
09-17-2005, 09:33 PM
can someone also clarify:

how to play AA-JJ after raising alot preflop when you are overpair and it is checked to you, and no draws?

after raising with AK/ AQ and getting lowflop, what should I do (if checked to, if first to act)

Seth Money
09-17-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ps. at other poker site i made $2000 from $11's , so im not sure that i suck at sng

================================
like, for example this hand

J7 in BB, two callers, i check

stacks: me 1500 in BB, some guy 600 in SB, rest are big.

flop J75 two clubs, checked by shorty, i push

is this good move??

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is all late/end game then yes I think this is a good move.

AlphaWice
09-17-2005, 09:37 PM
results: big calls with A5, kills me with 5 on turn

bam my 10th 4th place

AlphaWice
09-17-2005, 09:40 PM
also another thing that is a leak that i want fixed

it seems like the majority (about 80%) of my losses occur like this: i fold until AK /AQ / JJ+ then i raise alot, it gets called, safe flop, they bet and i push then they call and they show an even stronger hand preflop. Anyway to get out of this??

Seth Money
09-17-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

how to play AA-JJ after raising alot preflop when you are overpair and it is checked to you, and no draws?

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends on the chips that you have but if you have a lot of chips I would 1/3 to 1/2 bet the pot hoping for a call or an all in. If your short stacked and don't have a lot compared to the blinds I push.

[ QUOTE ]

after raising with AK/ AQ and getting lowflop, what should I do (if checked to, if first to act)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of this still has to do with chip stacks. I don't like to commit myself to a lot of chips in this spot or any. If your first to act sometimes Ill push some chips around if second to act I wont give a free card Ill make them pay to see at least the next card.

But then again this is my opinion, its all situational and how you're table image, your concept of the game, ect ect. I hope you get more responses but there are a sea of possible answers.

AlphaWice
09-17-2005, 09:41 PM
okay for example this hand

blinds 25/50, utg+1 with AQo 6 handed, folded to. i have 1000 chip, raise to 200, its reraised to 600 from MP (by sum1 with 2500), rest fold, your move? was the 200 raise a good line?

AlphaWice
09-17-2005, 09:43 PM
how bout these hands

KJo on button 6 handed 600 chips blinds 25/50 up in 3 hands
AJo same thing

Seth Money
09-17-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

bam my 10th 4th place

[/ QUOTE ]

Alpha, I know this may sound like a bull reponse but maybe today is variance day for you. Dude the law of averages says that these days come, I'd like to know how many you have played over what course of time and your overall stats. I mean even when I started I went through a stretch where I couldn't hit water if I jumped out of a boat. It happens. If your making the right decisions and gettin in withe best of it late your going to even this out and benefit long term

AlphaWice
09-17-2005, 09:46 PM
no, man i DEFINETLY have ALOT of leaks, which is sad because i play an avg of 3 hands per SNG.

Seth Money
09-17-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

bam my 10th 4th place

[/ QUOTE ]

Alpha, I know this may sound like a bull reponse but maybe today is variance day for you. Dude the law of averages says that these days come, I'd like to know how many you have played over what course of time and your overall stats. I mean even when I started I went through a stretch where I couldn't hit water if I jumped out of a boat. It happens. If your making the right decisions and gettin in withe best of it late your going to even this out and benefit long term

[/ QUOTE ]

I should probably add that days turn into weeks and sometimes a month of this. Are you strong or are you weak? My longest down stretch was 12 days. Then bam making the same decisions and the results changed. Variance is a mother but they make you stronger if your a winning player, knowing that you can handle anything thats comes your way.

PM me if you wanna talk further. I'd be more then willing to discuss whatever, except my fat ass cause i am working on that

Seth

Dr_Jeckyl_00
09-17-2005, 09:57 PM
try searching for "bubble play"

basically you're pushing or folding, trying to steal blinds pf, and avoid post flop play... therefore blinds must be big relative to stack sizes to be worth stealing. If you push utg you need a pretty strong hand to push. If it is folded to you in button or sb you don't need as strong a hand to push. I don't like pushing any two... as it eventually back fires. I like to have some strength when I push. Blind size relative to stack sizes is also important. If there are limpers or raisers infront of you you better fold unless your hand is very strong or you have a great read on villain (ie maniac... but you still need a strong hand to call). If the blinds are 15/30 or 25/50 in the bubble and your stack is 10xbb or more be patient. you probably don't want to steal blinds until level 4.

Shilly
09-17-2005, 10:39 PM
I suggest you post individual hands (the complete hand histories) in individual threads. A 20 buy-in downswing is somewhat routine for solid, winning players. If you have any specific questions about hands, just post them--I'm sure we'll be able to help you.

TheBlueMonster
09-18-2005, 04:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think the prob is im pushing too much

for example, there was two stacks uber short, me and this guy tied in chips, i push with 99.. is this good play? (he was bb)

[/ QUOTE ]
no it wasn't. You're getting called by a hand that can bust you. Why risk all your chips against the ONLY guy that can take you out. Raise all in against the small stacks.