PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new computer- Graphic card question

jacattac
09-17-2005, 06:30 PM
I will be buying a new Dell here shortly, most likely off ebay or something because I have been able to get more for my money that way in the past. The only think that I am unsure of is which graphic card I will need to run 2 monitors. Do I just need one that has DVI or does it have to have to cards? I really have no idea about this stuff, but from reading various posts some make it sound like you need 2 cards, and some seem to work fine with one. The monitors will be 2001fps if that matters, I just really want to 8 table and my current computer is from the late 90's! Any advice on which video card that Dell offers that I should make sure to get would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and I appreciate your help!!!

smoore
09-17-2005, 11:14 PM
Your current computer is probably fine. Most dells that you can buy from ebay won't be able to run two monitors. Just buy another video card or a nice matrox with dual outputs and have a local geek install it for you. Might buy some memory while you're at it. 1GB is very nice.

jacattac
09-18-2005, 03:01 AM
Thanks for the reply. I looked at the matrox website and am still not sure what exactly I need. Can you or anyone else recommend a graphic card that I could pick up for a reasonalbe price that will be able to run 2 2001fp's. If it matters my current computer is only 800mhz very little ram, and a small harddrive, and I'm running XP. I would deffinalty go out and get more ram if nessecary. Thank you for your help.

Neuge
09-18-2005, 05:09 AM
I don't know what kinda money you're looking to spend, but you can get better deals buying new from places like ibuypower (http://www.ibuypower.com/) than buying used Dells off ebay. Ibuypower's most basic configuration is better than most Dells (even top of the line) for less than $500 with a card that can support dual-monitors.

smoore
09-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Hm, 800mhz may be a little light for pokertracker and 8 tables but I've heard reports that 4 tables and PT work fine. You probably would want to get a new machine just to run newer software in general.

I have a matrox G450 w/32MB and I'm perfectly happy with it. A G550 would also work, they only come in 32MB, the 450 is available w/16MB also (I wouldn't recommend that one).

If you want three monitors you can get a Matrox Parhelia... some of my flight sim buddies swear by them because they can get that cool wraparound effect.

When you purchase another computer, ensure it has an AGP slot so that you can plug your new card in. Make sure you don't fry anything with static, might want to get a geek to help you.

edit: ibuypower.com looks really cool. As long as they're reputable and have a warranty I'd just call them up and tell them what you want to do.