PDA

View Full Version : Turned the nuts, villain likes his hand

mgsimpleton
09-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Ok so my reads are basically i don't understand how villain plays. Usually he overplays top pair but sometimes he'll make a monster lay down. I have been raising like every hand and getting no respect on my flop bets, which is why I do not bet this flop.

1/2 NL, effective stacks 150

UTG limps, hero raises to 7 with Q /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif, UTG calls... pot is 17

Flop: A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

check, check

Turn: 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Villain bets 5, I raise to 15 (should have raised more but I forgot how big the pot was), villain thinks for a while, then makes it 35. I know he likes his hand here but I don't know how much. He even said "why are you checking the flop?" to which I replied "I have a monster, of course" anyway... what's your action? Who likes a reraise here and who likes a smooth call? Villain had about 100 and change left.

BobboFitos
09-17-2005, 03:44 PM
raise it up sir

ok bro?

nice job man

Kluddeludde
09-17-2005, 03:49 PM
I would push. If the board pairs on the river, you are in a very tricky situation. And as you said, villain likes his hand alot, which probably means a hand better than at least top pair. There is some chance that he'll fold a two-pair if you push, but all other hands, such as a smaller straight or set, he will most likely call. Against those hands it is better to push, the board may pair or his straight may be countered, which means that either you will lose your money or you will not get any more money from him.

Kludde

09-17-2005, 03:54 PM
I generally like to raise with the best hand. RAISE. If Villain really likes his hand there's a good chance he's got two pair or a set, so there are a lot of cards you don't want to hit on the river. You have the best hand, so get some money in the pot.

mgsimpleton
09-17-2005, 03:56 PM
if someone 4-bet me in a pot of like nothing and the board was AT98r, i'm ditching everything but a set and praying for the board to pair if i have one. is anyone with me here?

now i realize villain sucks but how much is it safe to assume someone sucks???

TheWorstPlayer
09-17-2005, 03:56 PM
Against a good player, I like a call. Keep him on lead, you are guaranteed to stack him on the river. However, what do you do if the board pairs on the river? Tough one. So, against a bad opponent, I just re-raise right now on the turn. It is rare indeed to find someone who will fold a set here. So I would raise another 50 or so. He will have bad odds to draw to fill up and will probably call off the rest on the river.

Edit: I didn't remember the stack sizes. With only 100 left, you could push. But still, I think chances that he drops a set to a push are better than even a raise of another 75. That's just how these guys are. So I wouldn't push, but I would raise enought to give him bad odds to draw to a boat. Or, if I thought there was a real chance of his dropping a set, I would call and get it in on the river.

meleader2
09-17-2005, 03:57 PM
everyone seems to be saying raise here. villain explicitly asked why you checked the flop, he either puts you on AA, at which case i put him on a set, or he thinks you have KK and he has a small ace.

i say smooth call, and if the river pairs the board block bet. only problem with the river is you're first to act, and if it doesn't pair put in a pot sized bet.

twolf
09-17-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i say smooth call, and if the river pairs the board block bet. only problem with the river is you're first to act, and if it doesn't pair put in a pot sized bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Duck is not first to act. Villian is UTG, Mr. Ducky is somewhere that doesn't include the blinds.

I use my position here and just call and destack him on the river, of course when the board pairs that sucks, but that's life.

PoBoy321
09-17-2005, 04:54 PM
If you think that the villain is capable of making big laydowns, I just call here. Villain is likely to lead again on the river and if the board doesn't pair, you can likely stack him.

yvesaint
09-17-2005, 05:22 PM
call, you have position. the only tricky thing would be if the board paired and he check-raised you all-in

deadmoney98
09-17-2005, 06:23 PM
I like calling here too, but what do people do if the board pairs on the end?

Call an all-in? Bet if checked to? Check behind?

09-17-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like calling here too, but what do people do if the board pairs on the end?

Call an all-in? Bet if checked to? Check behind?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the love of God, RAISE THE TURN. You have the nuts. You want to play for a big pot. Your opponent is acting like he wants to put money into this pot. I repeat, RAISE THE TURN. Raise as much as you think he'll likely call, but RAISE THE TURN. You have the nuts. More money=good thing.

09-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Did I mention that Villain wants to put more money into this pot? OBLIGE HIM, RAISE THE TURN. I mean honestly, I don't see any justification for just calling against a Villain who has reraised the turn and Hero is looking at the absolute nuts. In all seriousness, there is absolutely zero reason to not raise here. Raise small if need be, but raise. Raise. Raise. Raise.

mgsimpleton
09-17-2005, 10:03 PM
i just called, turn was an A, villain check/folded with T9... sucks.

i just called because i put him on some sort of two pair that wasn't aces up (i think he raises preflop or bets the flop w/ an ace there, or at least to me it just seemed like he didn't have one) and i thought he would release it to more pressure. then again he's an idiot so maybe another donk reraise like twp suggested, 40 more would commit him on the river. still, if the river is anything that doesn't pair the board, he leads big and i think i get the rest of his stack, so i'm not unpleased with the play despite the results. i'm glad some agree.

yvesaint
09-17-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did I mention that Villain wants to put more money into this pot? OBLIGE HIM, RAISE THE TURN. I mean honestly, I don't see any justification for just calling against a Villain who has reraised the turn and Hero is looking at the absolute nuts. In all seriousness, there is absolutely zero reason to not raise here. Raise small if need be, but raise. Raise. Raise. Raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is Villain going to call with if we raise his bet on the turn, after checking the flop, and re-re-raise yet again his 3-bet? A set, the straight, and top 2, maybe. He says he likes to make big folds, well, he can easily fold with any weak 2-pair with a push/big raise over his 3-bet. I really think he folds with any 2-pair without the ace if you put in another bet.

If you flat call, Villain takes it as weakness, as I'm sure the OP has been showing an aggressive weakness. Any blank on the river, he will most likely fire out again. If he isn't firing out again, he will call a near pot-sized bet. Any 2-pair has only 4 outs, and I don't see him pushing/betting huge if the board pairs and it's not one of his 2-pair cards, especially if he doesn't have the A paired. A blank falls, you get his stack.