PDA

View Full Version : You Make the Play 2

MRBAA
05-05-2003, 07:49 PM
It's the same loose but aggressive $4-8 game (no rake) I described in my earlier post. Players that know how to play and think about what others may have but still play too loose and call too much. One player who was all in has now rallied to get back to having about $250. My impression of him is tight and solid. He's been playing a lot more hands since getting back into the chips, but so far has always had a strong hand when called. We'll call him Mr. Rush.

Hand 1: I limp K-8d in late position with two limpers. SB folds, BB checks. Flop is K-9-3, rainbow no diamonds and Mr. Rush bets from early position. Other limper folds, I call, BB folds. A three on the turn
makes the board K-9-3-3. Mr. Rush bets. I find him hard to read, but he "feels" strong. You make the play...

Hand 2: In bb with KQo, two limpers and button raises. I call, limpers call, four to the flop. It's 9-6-3 rainbow, checked to bb who bets. You make the play.

Vehn
05-05-2003, 08:04 PM
Why in the world wouldn't you raise the flop in hand 1?

And hand 2 is an easy easy fold. You have nothing. You're out of position. So long.

Bob T.
05-05-2003, 09:41 PM
1) You painted yourself in the corner here, you could have raised on the flop, and guaged your opponents reaction, or you could have folded, assuming your kicker was no good. If you are going to play these suited rags, you can't be taking halfway measures on the flop.

2) you missed, you are out of position, the pot is moderately small, there are two players to act, and you could be either behind, or dominated by the bettors hand. I think it is an easy fold.

MRBAA
05-05-2003, 10:03 PM
Thanks Bob and Vehn -- I probably should not have posted hand #2 -- was just frustrated because I did in fact fold and, of course, a king spiked on the turn and would have been good. Preflop raiser had pocket 10s.

I've been running baddish lately, just fold, fold, folding so I think boredom was a factor in my playing hand #1 -- I sure don't think I'm giving up much if I don't play it. Yeah, the flop raise with position was the way to go here -- I just felt that he probably had something so didn't want to put more money in.

Joe Tall
05-05-2003, 10:23 PM
Hand 1:
Preflop: fold

Flop: Well this is where Kxs plays tough and now you're trapped in with top pair. I feel as though Mr Rush has you beat with a King - higher kicker or if he's was semi-bluffing with a hand like A3, you're cooked on the turn.

Hand 2:
You are the BB correct? If it was checked to the button (not the bb), I'd call with my overcards to see the turn.

John Gaspar
05-05-2003, 10:49 PM
I agree with the previous posters that you should raise the flop while you have position. That being said, if he 3 bets do you throw your hand away? If not, do you throw away your hand on the turn if you don't spike an 8? If the answer is no, that you don't throw your hand away, then I wouldn't raise the flop and might raise the turn instead. Just calling the flop and raing the turn lets you represent a much stronger hand. If you get 3 bet, you can safely throw your hand away on the turn, but more likely you are going to either win the pot if he doesn't have a King (and you've gained an extra bet) or be checked to on the river and get a free showdown.

Vehn
05-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Actually I kinda change my mind on hand 1. I think a call is fine. I would usually raise the turn and look to check the river if called depending on what it is. But simply raising the flop makes the hand a lot easier to play i.e. if you get 3-bet you have a easy & cheap fold on the turn.