PDA

View Full Version : K4s on the flop

MrEngenic
09-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Second hand at the table. Check/fold, bet/call or check and see what happens?

2/4 Party

Preflop: Hero is SB with K /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, BB checks

Flop: (4 sb) 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (4 players)
Hero

mdob
09-17-2005, 12:56 PM
I'd dump this pre-flop even for half price.

I'd bet the flop. With the pot so small, you actually are sort of protecting your hand against two overcards. (With implied odds I guess they can call, so that's why I said "sort of.")

cold_cash
09-17-2005, 01:38 PM
Folding pre-flop sucks.

I'd bet the flop.

toss
09-17-2005, 01:45 PM
I'd check and see what happens. I'll often just call in a small pot and donkbet what looks like a good turn card.

Harv72b
09-17-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd check and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

KDawgCometh
09-17-2005, 02:18 PM
I'm checking to see where a bet(if one happens) comes from. If there is no bet on the flop, bet any turn card

W. Deranged
09-17-2005, 03:23 PM
I think this is a pretty good spot to bet.

The pot is small, so a bet protects your hand.

You are likely to be ahead, as this likely missed all the "big card" type hands and many of the potential overpairs would have raised pre-flop.

Checking here is quite likely to allow the flop to check through and tons of turn cards are cards you don't want to see (if they don't beat you, they'll at least make the hand trickier to play from that point forward). With no one having shown any strength yet, checking-and-seeing isn't good here, in my opinion. I might like that if there were a pre-flop raise or if there were 5 or more players, but here I think betting is definitely the best course of action.

And folding pre-flop here is terrible, for anyone advocating that.

Dagger78
09-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Call pre-flop is easy, you can't fold here getting 7-1 plus implied odds.

I generally lead here, you probably have the best hand and you need to protect it. These hands are normally tough to play on the turn. When I'm called in more than 1 spot I generally lead most turn cards here also, with the exception of an A or Spade. I think alot of players like to peel one off and this low flop and will fold their overcards on the turn. If called in only one spot I'm most likely gonna see a showdown.

Harv72b
09-17-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The pot is small, so a bet protects your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the possible exception of the BB, I don't think anyone is folding to a lead bet by the SB on a 6-high, drawy flop. And a raise doesn't really tell Hero that he's behind, as anyone with a 5, two spades, or just overcards might raise for the free card or trying to steal the pot vs. Hero's "draw".

MrEngenic
09-17-2005, 05:42 PM
For those of you who bet, what is the purpose of your bet? What will you do on the turn if one or two players call your flop bet?

Dagger78
09-17-2005, 06:42 PM
The purpose is to protect a hand that is probably best right now. People who will call with just overcards will be making a mistake.

The turn just depends on the card that falls. I bet most cards that aren't an A or Spade. Most people who call this flop just take a card off to hit overcards on this low flop. Good cards are in the 7-9 range(besides the more obvious 4,K or club).