PDA

View Full Version : Discounting overcard outs heads up

thesharpie
09-17-2005, 04:09 AM
Stupidly simple question.

You're playing shorthanded and are in a heads up pot with an unknown player and he bets into you, you have overcard outs but almost no chance of currently holding the best hand. Is there any reason to discount overcard outs if we can't put him on a hand yet? I'm almost certain we shouldn't yet I've been giving myself say 5 outs instead of 6 outs for some reason, too used to having to do it in multiway pots? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Vote4Pedro
09-17-2005, 05:27 AM
Yeah, I dont think theres any reason to discount

Shillx
09-17-2005, 05:31 AM
Depends what they are.

If the board is 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif I would discount AKo more then KQo. I would still not discount either very much.

09-17-2005, 07:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Depends what they are.

If the board is 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif I would discount AKo more then KQo. I would still not discount either very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

HE4AP touches on this p59,60. Maybe brushes up against.

IMHO. You know your beat at this point so at least one of his cards is different to yours. The chance that his other card shares one of yours is 6\46 or 6.66:1. NOT enough to discount an out completely. And that's assuming Villian plays completely random hands 100% of the time.

Eeegah
09-17-2005, 09:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Villian plays completely random hands 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the important thing. If you're in the big blind versus a position-aware TAG who limped in UTG+1, that range is a good bit narrower and you need to discount much more than if it was a 2-handed game to begin with.

On the other hand, in 2-handed games you rarely have odds to draw anyway. I think--I'm not too good at HU /images/graemlins/frown.gif