PDA

View Full Version : QQ out of position hand. What's my line?

jedi
09-17-2005, 02:47 AM
1/2 NL Hold Em - My only notes on villain is that he likes to steal raise from late position. Not much help in this hand.

Total number of players : 7
Seat 1: Jedi ($298)
Seat 3: ($50.80)
Seat 4: Villain ($283.95)
Seat 6: ($31.15)
Seat 7: ($145.40)
Seat 8: ($233.10)
Seat 9: ($39.95)
Seat 9 posts small blind (1)
Jedi posts big blind (2)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Jedi [ Q /images/graemlins/club.gif, Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]
1 folds.
Villain calls (2)
1 fold.
Seat 7 calls (2)
2 folds.
Jedi raises to 8 SHould this be a bigger raise?
Villain calls (6)
Seat 7 calls (6)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ J /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
Not the greatest of flops, but I need to charge overcards and lone hearts to draw.
Jedi bets (20)
Villain calls (20)
Seat 7 folds.
** Dealing Turn ** : [ A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]
Jedi bets (40)
Villain raises (122) to 122
Jedi ???. urgh. Now what?

09-17-2005, 02:52 AM
Well I would run around my room crying and hitting things that I know won't hurt me in the long run.

This is a toughy and I'd like to see what people that can actually play poker (in comparisson to me) think.

I'd just like to point out that this is one of my LEAST favorite situations. Im not good enought to give you advice, unfortunatly.

Pssst... I'd fold.

ajmargarine
09-17-2005, 03:42 AM
Make it $12 to go preflop. 4xBB+1BB per limper. Looks like you made a pot bet on the flop. Bet 2/3 pot instead as it gets the job done just as well. 1/2 to 2/3 pot again on the turn and folding to a raise looks good to me. You can c/f the turn, but that's borderline weak.

09-17-2005, 03:53 AM
Check/fold the turn. Everything else is fine. What hand called the raise that doesn't have you beat on that turn? Sucks, but the cards just don't support you going to the felt with QQ. Against a weak caller on turn I might bet, but really I'm not expecting to get called here and be ahead ever.

Lucky
09-17-2005, 04:59 AM
Standard for pre-flop is 3.5 x bb plus 1bb for each limper. Bigger pre flop raises are also used and really help to avoid the family pots.

On hand, I bet pot on the ugly flop. When A comes, I probably c/f turn.

jedi
09-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Thanks guys.

One question. Does check-folding here set me up to get bluffed at later on? Someone might call the flop just to raise me later on if I check the turn on this type of board.

09-18-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One question. Does check-folding here set me up to get bluffed at later on? Someone might call the flop just to raise me later on if I check the turn on this type of board.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not necessarily. In this specific situation there is just too many ways that you can be beaten. That is why the c/f option is the best. It sucks, you've been dealt a pretty nice hand to start off with, but the heat is too much at this point. Muck them, and know that you made the right decision. If someone's bluffing you because they have position on you, they'll do it again when you will have the nuts, and you'll get your money back.
It's always possible to call the flop to set up a bluff on the later streets, however, sometimes, when you do that, you end up representing your opponents hand and they will beat you with it. Say you have A-2 in the small blind, you limp in, flop brings two hearts, you put in a raise, opponent calls with the intention of representing the flush when another heart comes, turn brings the heart, then, you can check raise him or, if you think he'll fire again on the river, call the turn and check raise him on the river, since he'll bet thinking that you'll fold like you did when you had the ladies. You'll get your money back.
Patience is a virtue.

xorbie
09-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Easy fold. If he had TPTK on the flop, you lose. If he had the NFD on the flop, you lose. If he had a set and was waiting for safe turn, you lose. If he had two pair, and was waiting for a safe turn, you lose. If he had a flush, you lose.

I guess if he is a total donk with T/images/graemlins/heart.gifJ/images/graemlins/spade.gif you might win. He still has a ton of outs though.

Fold city.