PDA

View Full Version : I received a strange letter in the mail today

geormiet
09-17-2005, 01:36 AM
From Carnival Cruise Lines:

Dear George Durham,

This official registerd document confirms George Durham, of Los Angeles, California, is the Fully Registered receipient of the enclosed ONE THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED DOLLAR travel voucher. We are pleased to provide you with this special travel voucher to purchase your family's Spectacular Florida/Tropical Caribbean Cruise vactation package. In return, we request that you fill out a one-page survey evalauting your hotel and cruise accomdations at the conclusion of your vacation.

Your responsible Financial Hisotry has earned you this $1600.00 travel voucher.

etc etc

George, please call xxxx in the next 72 hours.

Your itenerary includes:

3 nights...
etc etc

Call toll free xxxx

Also included ia a "travel voucher" made to look like a boarding pass.

wtf? what kind of scam is this? Anyone gotten one of these before?

KingOtter
09-17-2005, 01:46 AM
It's probably a timeshare ad. You go on the trip, it really is free, but you have to spend a couple hours as they attempt to sell you on their timeshare.

KO

Warik
09-17-2005, 01:47 AM
Call Carnival Cruiselines (not the phone # they gave you) directly and ask about it... might have to speak to a supe or a supe's supe to get someone who knows what they're talking about.

Watch out though... you know what they say about things that are too good to be true.

unreal_nh
09-17-2005, 01:48 AM
holy [censored], just as i was reading this i saw a commercial on tv for carnival cruise

Warik
09-17-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's probably a timeshare ad. You go on the trip, it really is free, but you have to spend a couple hours as they attempt to sell you on their timeshare.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my initial thought as well, but a time share on a cruise ship? Never heard of that before...

manpower
09-17-2005, 01:51 AM
I've gotten stuff like this before. They probably will give you an honest-to-goodness deal on a trip, but expect there to be some sort of catch that involves high pressure sales.

Hiding
09-17-2005, 01:58 AM
I would guess 1600 voucher for a 4800 trip

Benal
09-17-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would guess 1600 voucher for a 4800 trip

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, that's usually the catch.

youtalkfunny
09-17-2005, 03:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your responsible Financial Hisotry has earned you this $1600.00 travel voucher.

[/ QUOTE ]

This line means, "If you use it, we're sure you'll make the monthly payments for it in a timely fashion."