PDA

View Full Version : KK against super passive villan's PFR and Cap. Mistake?

A_K
09-17-2005, 01:04 AM
Over 100 hands villan is 36/1/.5. That's right, he raised once in 100 hands. My only notes on him are that he will call down with anything -- I didn't see him limp any big pocket pairs. For a fleeting moment I almost folded pre-flop. Was my play appropriate here?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

This was really bad news. Passive guy checkraises after smoothcalling my flop checkraise. Do you find a fold here? UTG+1 probably has a LOT of outs against us, and at best we're chopping with UTG+2s KK.

River: (17.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 19.50 BB

EDIT: Don't mistake this for a bad beat post. Its not. Really my question is would you ever fold a big pocket pair against someone who PFRs so infrequently? Automatically go into WA/WB mode?

Nick C
09-17-2005, 02:14 AM
You really had an unfortunate set of circumstances pile up on you here: You have a passive preflop and postflop player who loves his hand playing back at you and a multi-way pot with a highly coordinated board.

I think what you did is all right, really. When someone raises as rarely preflop as UTG+2 does and we only have 100 hands on him, it's hard to know with much certainty what hands he raises and caps. I mean, we only get dealt AA-JJ about 1 in 55 times on average, so there's a lot of short-term variance there.

Edit: Protecting your hand, if it's currently best, is going to be difficult, but I'm thinking you might as well put in the effort, like you did. And putting in a little action for value seems all right to me too.

Possibly check-calling the flop and then checkraising a favorable turn may be something to consider. I'm not sure. There is a pretty good chance you're behind UTG+2's AA anyway. To some extent, I think you just have to hope your hand is best and that it holds up.

09-17-2005, 02:29 AM
You know what, I think it is close. People might say it's too weak tight or whatever but seems like most likely their PFR range is at best AA-JJ, more likely AA-QQ, or AA-KK. So whatever, I think a fold is ok, 3-bet is ok.

You run into these types of opponents so rarely, and rarely have enough stats to even think about folding AQ. I think one time I had like 300 hands on someone with a 1% PFR and I didn't fold QQ, though in retrospect, not being results oreinted, I think I should have.

09-17-2005, 02:29 AM
I think this is played well, he is just as likely to have QQ as he is to have AA, and your equity is increased to make the bets valuable by the 3rd player in the pot.

Can i just check as well, what does WA/WB mean? it seems to mean call down, but what do the letters stand for?

Nick C
09-17-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can i just check as well, what does WA/WB mean? it seems to mean call down, but what do the letters stand for?

[/ QUOTE ]

It stands for "way ahead/way behind," and it refers to times where we're most likely either pretty safely ahead or we're behind and drawing to hardly any outs. And we don't know which it is. Often in such situations, it's best just to check and call.

However, since this begins as a four-way pot and the board is highly coordinated, we certainly can't assume we're way ahead or way behind here. (We're not so likely to be way ahead.) Even if we're ahead of UTG+2, he would have quite a few outs if he holds JJ or TT.

All the same, heads-up against UTG+2, I would probably lead the flop and then start calling down if he raised. Edit: But the pot isn't heads-up, and that makes things more difficult, in this instance.