PDA

View Full Version : Computer Science @ Colorado?

Maulik
09-17-2005, 01:00 AM
i'm wondering how this program stacks up to other state schools, like U of Maryland.

asofel
09-17-2005, 01:45 AM
U of Maryland's CS is pretty damn good from what I know, but i can't really speak on CO...so yeah, that's useless huh /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bradyams
09-17-2005, 01:58 AM
This is only one company's opinion so take it for what it's worth:

My Mom manages a small luxurious hotel in a small town just outside of Boulder. She had a man come in from somewhere in Colorado who hired engineers for his company. He told her that if someone has the University of Colorado on their resume they pretty much won't even look at it. They say the school has become such a big party school, and their engineer program has gone to crap (I personally find that hard to believe since that was always a strong program at CU, but this is what the employer said).

lucas9000
09-17-2005, 02:59 AM
colorado sucks.

fluxrad
09-17-2005, 03:14 AM
CU is an engineering school. There's no reason to go for CS.

BOTW
09-17-2005, 05:29 AM
I'd guess as good if you are staying on the left coast. If you plan on going to Cali or staying in Colo or going to India you are all good with it.

CU has a rep as 'party school' on the east coast esp., but [censored], it is a party school...drink, ski, drink, ski, beer, sex...win nobel prize, drink, ski, sex, burn [censored], drink, go buffs, drink, sex...

[censored], I dunno, ask patrick...

HDPM
09-17-2005, 11:55 AM
I don't know anything about how CS schools stack up. I only know one person w/ a CS degree from Colorado. But I would caution you when looking that it was very hard to get the classes necessary to graduate because of mismanagement at the school IIRC. That was a problem overall at CU. Figure on 5 years to get a degree unless things have changed. I think very little of CU overall. I think it is proably a better place for graduate work; the undergrad stuff doesn't impress me. That said, CU in the past has had some really good engineering and science programs. As I said before, I don't know anything abotu CS or CU's cs program specifically, but I would be very careful about picking CU. Poorly run school. Obnoxious people. And you have to live in Boulder, which I don't like at all. I got what I needed out of CU, but still don't think much of it. If it works for you, fine, but be selective.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-17-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
CU is a pot-smoker's school. There's no reason to go for CS.

[/ QUOTE ]

fluxrad
09-17-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlike most other colleges, where pot smoking is rare.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-17-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlike most other colleges, where pot smoking is rare.

[/ QUOTE ]
CU stands above the rest.

fluxrad
09-17-2005, 06:45 PM
I would beg to differ. I grew up in Aurora and most of my friends went to CU (I went to MU Columbia). The reason thinks everyone at CU smokes weed is because everyone in Boulder smokes weed. Most of the kids I smoked weed with in Boulder didn't actually attend the U.

Believe me when I say that weed and Colorado are subjects I know a little too well.

Now if you want to talk about the quality differential between Boulder and the U of XXX...well, there's no comparison.

Mason Hellmuth
09-17-2005, 07:05 PM
I just graduated from Maryland CS. I don't recommend it.

Maulik
09-19-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just graduated from Maryland CS. I don't recommend it.

[/ QUOTE ]

elaborate, please.