PDA

View Full Version : Tax Question

Cactus Cactus
09-16-2005, 10:53 PM
If say I made 100k for the year, and I buy a business for 100k, 40k which is "good will" can I deduct this off my taxes so that 60k is my taxable income?

Are there any other secrets to deferring income buy perhaps buying a business

unreal_nh
09-16-2005, 11:04 PM
assuming your 100k is from gambling earnings.. u have to report the gross amount and deduct your losses. as far as deducting the amount for purchasing the business is an entirely different thing.. i would suggest consulting a tax professional on that one.

broiler
09-16-2005, 11:57 PM
Goodwill is considered an intangible asset for tax purposes and is amortized over 15 years.

Buying a business is generally not a good way to generate deductions for your personal tax return since anything that generates large deductions will cost you an equal amount in cash. If you already own a business, then the expensing of business assets (equipment) might help your personal tax situation under the right corporate structure (S corp or partnership).

Krazy Dan
09-17-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If say I made 100k for the year, and I buy a business for 100k, 40k which is "good will" can I deduct this off my taxes so that 60k is my taxable income?

[/ QUOTE ]

Goodwill is amortized over 15 years, so the most you can claim in any one year is about $2670.

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any other secrets to deferring income buy perhaps buying a business

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a secret to avoiding tax, don't have income.

Buying a business will not lower your after-tax net income.

And actually, any time you do something for the sole reason of a tax deduction, you're spending $1 to save at most 35 cents, thus making you an idiot.