PDA

View Full Version : About All Those "Looted Artifacts"...

MMMMMM
05-05-2003, 01:40 PM
(excerpt)
"UH OH .. NOW WE’RE LEARNING THE TRUTH ABOUT THAT IRAQI MUSEUM

Pity the poor left. In the days following the liberation of Iraq leftists finally thought they had an issue they could exploit. The profoundly stupid and uncultured George Bush had failed to protect the Iraqi national museum. The entire history of the beginning of civilization had disappeared with the looting of tens of thousands of priceless artifacts from the museum .. all because of George Bush.

Well … looks like another oops for the left. The Chicago Tribune has now lowered that estimate of the number of precious antiquities looted from the Baghdad museum from 10,000 to ….. 38. That’s right, 38. The single most valuable artifact is a bowl. The remainder of the artifacts was found in the museum … largely unscathed.

By the way, coalition forces also found a gunner’s nest inside the museum. That’s right. An Iraqi sniper was using the museum to fire on coalition troops. Bush probably put him there to give us an excuse to destroy the museum, but something went wrong along the way."(end excerpt)

http://www.boortz.com/nealznuz.htm

imported_Chuck Weinstock
05-05-2003, 07:18 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Pity the poor left. In the days following the liberation of Iraq leftists finally thought they had an issue they could exploit. The profoundly stupid and uncultured George Bush had failed to protect the Iraqi national museum. The entire history of the beginning of civilization had disappeared with the looting of tens of thousands of priceless artifacts from the museum .. all because of George Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse me, but I think you do the "right" and "conservatives" a dis-service. The people who I know who were seriously dismayed by the looting of the antiquities could not be catagorized as "left" or "right" or "liberal" or "conservative" but merely as people who care about history and the preservation thereof.

If what the Tribune says is true, I can't imagine anyone who really cares about history not rejoicing.

MMMMMM
05-05-2003, 07:45 PM
I agree that should be cause for rejoicing, if true.

Perhaps too I should have exercised better judgment than to quote this mildly inflammatory passage of Boortz' (although his style tickles me), but I think he is pointing out that it is yet another objection to the war--refuted. The Left in this country were the chief objectors, and their arguments are being systematically demolished by facts as they occur. For instance the much ballyhooed fears of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilian casualties turned out to be a low 2,000-3,000. The Arab street did not rise up against the West any more than it was before the war. There was no great quagmire in Baghdad. And lots of Iraqis did greet soldiers with cheers. And perhaps as significantly, we are now getting some cooperation out of Syria, and Kim Jong-il recently got the sudden urge to hold multilateral talks.

Well, Boortz put it in a less than ideal manner.

When WMD are eventually discovered (extremely likely IMO), I wonder what next objection will become the focus for the die-hard anti-Iraq-War folks.

Mason Malmuth
05-05-2003, 08:10 PM
Hi MMMMMM:

Actually, I view this as a non-issue. You need to understand that when people get frustrated, they sometimes need a vehicle to release pressure. Thus the museum looting became a short term issue. But I can't imagine any group that would be happy with it, and if my memory serves me well it seems that our military command basically said that they never really considered it to be a potential problem.

So if the reports today are correct, it wasn't a problem, but perhaps it should have been addressed better no matter what. But in any case, for those of us who love history, it appears that the artifacts are still there.

Best wishes,
Mason